A McDonald's worker was forced to call the police on a drunk customer who kept doing loops of the drive-thru.
Orange police received information in the early hours of May 9 from a staff member at the North Orange fast-food outlet about "a vehicle that had driven through the drive-thru loop multiple times".
Officers were also reportedly told that the driver "appeared possibly intoxicated" due to his behaviour.
Police arrived at McDonald's shortly afterwards at 12.45am where an employee said the driver was still in the drive-thru bay.
When officers approached the Mitsubishi Triton and spoke to the driver, Troy William Curtis, 28, of Hill Street, in West Bathurst, they observed "that his speech was slurred and there was an intoxicating liquor in his breath".
When the 28-year-old was asked to exit his vehicle, police said he became "combative" towards officers.
After being arrested and taken to Orange Police Station, Curtis admitted that he had consumed a "fair bit" of alcohol, however would not be more specific.
In Orange Local Court on Monday, where Curtis appeared in person, his solicitor Rebecca Scott said his actions that night were completely out of character.
According to his references, Curtis was "a very hard working man" who was "thought of highly" by those who knew him.
Ms Scott further added that Curtis' offending had come after his football team's first win of the season at Waratah Sports Club and he had been celebrating afterwards.
His decision to get behind the wheel and drive after drinking was the result of a "horrific lack of judgement" which he was deeply remorseful for, Ms Scott said.
The court heard that Curtis had been working as a spray technician at Cadia Mine at the time of his offence - a position which will cease if he is no longer allowed to drive as a result of his drink-driving offence.
Magistrate David Day said it was clear Curtis "just didn't think" the night he walked out of Waratah's and got in his car after having "much too much" to drink.
Mr Day also observed that Curtis appeared to be a "man of good character" who had no prior convictions.
However, the magistrate said, it wasn't just road trauma victims and their families who suffered - it was also first-responders and those who worked in emergency departments who saw the horrific aftermath of drink-driving over and over again during their working lives.
Curtis was convicted and disqualified from driving for five months, with a mandatory interlock order given for the 24 months thereafter. He was also fined $1,100.
Our journalists work hard to provide local, up-to-date news to the community. This is how you can continue to access our trusted content:
Sign up for our newsletter to stay up to date.