This year's Orange show has been called off, the latest major event to fall victim to the coronavirus.
Orange Show Society president Peter Naylor said it had been a tough call to make.
"The decision was one of the most painful decisions ever taken by the society," he said.
Mr Naylor said it would impact "thousands of locals and visitors as well as retailers, exhibitors, presenters, entertainers and judges from all over.
"The cancellation also has significant ramifications for our regional economy given visitors will now not be utilising accommodation venues and restaurants and buying goods in local shops," he said.
It is the first time in nearly 40 years the show has been called off. Mr Naylor said it last happened in the 1980s due to poor weather.
"The future of the 2020 show was foremost in the minds of our committee over the past few weeks and we held our breath waiting for some improved news about coronavirus. Each day, sadly, the news got worse," he said.
"We'd hoped the show would be a special occasion for our farmers and graziers to celebrate the recent good rains after years of dreadful drought. The cancellation is particularly disappointing in that regard.
"However, the health and safety of our patrons, exhibitors and volunteers is paramount and the final decision was indeed the right one to take."
Mr Naylor said the show committee would now turn its attention to the 2021 show which is scheduled for May 1-2.
Sydney's Royal Easter show and Bathurst's show are among many events to already be called off due to the spread of coronavirus and government regulations aimed at restricting public meeetings of more than 500 people in outdoor areas.
The Bathurst show has been moved to the October long weekend.
We have removed our paywall from our stories about the coronavirus. This is a rapidly changing situation and we want to make sure our readers are as informed as possible. If you would like to support our journalists you can subscribe below...