Increased awareness of meat's environmental impact and the perceived health benefit of a plant-based diet is seeing more people turn to veganism.
Documentaries including The Game Changers, which stars celebrity-athletes and vegans Arnold Schwarzenegger, Jackie Chan, Lewis Hamilton, and Novak Djokovic has helped bring the message to the masses. A wave of new vegan brands and products entering the market has made meat and dairy-free options more accessible.
Veganuary, an idea launched in 2014 to encourage people to go vegan for January, has spread to 178 countries with more than half a million participants.
The Game Changer is among the movies inspiring a movement ...
Orange mum Claire Power went vegan after taking part in her own 30-day January challenge.
She said becoming vegan doesn't mean having to stop eating your favourite meals and foods.
"You just have to find healthier plant-based alternatives," she said.
Mrs Power, whose three children also eat a plant-based diet, said its encouraged her family to get creative with different foods and cuisines, like Asian dishes and tofu.
"I find children easily embrace plant-based meals if you make them taste delicious, make it fun and get them involved.
"Start with planning a menu together, look for recipes, shop together and actually prep the food and cook in the kitchen with them - it can help them embrace this new lifestyle and reduce picky eating behaviours.
"For older children, highlighting the benefits of eating plant-based can help and it also shows them how good vegan food can be," Ms Power said.
Claire Power's shares tips through her Instagram page Healthy French Wife ...
Through her Instagram page, Healthy French Wife, Mrs Power gives her 110,000 followers recipe ideas and tips to make the change from meat consumption.
"Transition easily by swapping animal protein in your favourite meals for mock meat or other plant proteins," she said.
"Cold brew coffees made with creamy almond milk are a healthy and refreshing alternative to traditional dairy coffee too and are especially great in summer when the weather is hot."
Mrs Power recommended adding a lot of greens, fruits, wholegrains, seeds and nuts to your diet.
"Look online for recipe ideas and other resources which can help make the vegan transition easier," she said.
1. Vegan Creamy Almond Sundried Tomato Pasta
A savoury pasta that is super easy and quick to make.
2 cups Califia Farms Unsweetened Almond Milk
2-3 garlic cloves
1/3 cup sundried tomatoes
1 tbsp nutritional yeast
1/2 tsp salt and pepper to taste
1/2 tsp dried oregano + more to top.
1. Cook the pasta following the packet instructions.
2. In a blender combine the garlic, Califia Farms Unsweetened Almond Milk, sundried tomatoes, nutritional yeast, salt, pepper.
3. Combine the cooked pasta and creamy almond sundried tomato sauce and heat up together on the stove on low heat.
2. Vegan 1-bowl Mocha Banana Bread
I am a big fan of easy baking recipes - especially when they are healthy and vegan.
2 cups of wholemeal flour
1 1/2 cup of Califia Farms Mocha Cold Brew Coffee
3 ripe bananas (+ 1 to top - optional)
2 tsp of baking powder
2 tbsp of flaxseed meal
1/2 cup of maple syrup
2 tbsp of cacao
1/4 cup of dairy-free chocolate chips to top (optional)
1. Preheat your oven to 180 degrees Celsius and line a loaf tin with baking paper.
2. In a large baking bowl, mash the bananas with a fork until all lumps are gone.
3. Mix the banana with the flaxseed meal and combine.
4. Add the flour, baking powder and cacao and stir to combine.
5. Pour the maple syrup and Califia Farms Mocha Cold Brew Coffee and stir to combine with a whisk. Try not to over-stir.
6. Pour the banana bread into our loaf tin, top with a sliced banana and choc chips and bake in the oven for 45-50 minutes. Wait until it has cooled down completely to cut a slice.
3. Mango Almond Vanilla muffins
One of the best things about summer are the mangoes!
1 cup Califia Farms Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk
1 cup whole-wheat flour
1 cup of almond meal
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup of coconut sugar
2 tbsp flaxseed meal
2 ripe mangoes
1. Preheat your oven to 180 degrees Celsius;
2. Mix the dry ingredients together then mix in the Califia Farms Vanilla Almond Milk.
3. Dice the mango cheeks and fold them in gently into the batter.
4. Spoon the muffin batters into muffin moulds and bake for 25 minutes at 180 degrees Celsius.
DO YOU WANT MORE ORANGE AND REGIONAL NEWS?
- Receive our free newsletters delivered to your inbox, as well as breaking news alerts. Sign up below ...