AS other council areas across the state consider calling off their New Year's Eve fireworks displays, Orange's celebrations are set to remain.
Mid-Western Regional Council is considering dropping its fireworks display in favour of spending the $10,000 on hay bales to donate to farmers.
Bathurst Regional Council is also likely to drop its fireworks display and move the live music, stalls and rides to Machattie Park.
Bathurst mayor Bobby Bourke said while the matter was yet to be formally considered by councillors, it was likely the sparkly part of the night would be cancelled due to the demand it would place on the town's limited water.
"We'd have to wash down the netball courts [at Victoria Park] because you have to keep them damp," he said.
The McCormack Barber Party Under the Stars in Orange is organised by real estate agent Peter McCormack each year, with sponsorship by Orange City Council.
Councillors supported a grant of $20,000 earlier this month, which is currently on public exhibition for community comment.
I'm amazed there are fireworks providers who haven't taken a deposit a month out.McCormack Barber principal Peter McCormack
Mr McCormack said the money was essential to the event going ahead, but cancelling the fireworks would still cost the organisation money because the deposit had already been paid.
"We get Howard and Sons, which does the Melbourne New Year's Eve fireworks, they're a very big company and they take a non-refundable deposit," he said.
"I'm amazed there are fireworks providers who haven't taken a deposit a month out."
Asked whether donations collected for charity each year could be donated to drought relief, Mr McCormack said it was possible.
He said the event would create a welcome break from drought-affected farmers.
"They can come and spend $4 for the family to watch their kids be happy and excited - that can be needed in tough times," he said.
Orange mayor Reg Kidd could not be reached for comment on Friday, however deputy mayor Sam Romano said he did not want to see a community event disrupted if the fireworks were safe to proceed.
"If it's dangerous, I would vote it down but if it's safe, I'll stick with it," he said.
"It gets a lot of people together."
Fireworks are normally outlawed during total fire bans, but event organisers can apply for an exemption.
The issue is also being examined on the coast - Shellharbour City Council is considering dropping its fireworks in favour of donating funds to the NSW Rural Fire Service, while Wollongong City Council has decided to keep its display.
A petition is also under way in favour of scrapping the Sydney Harbour fireworks.
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
- Send us a letter to the editor using the form below: