THE future of the Bald Hill Quarry remains uncertain with extraction suspended and an approval hanging in the balance.
The NSW Environmental Protection Authority confirmed the quarry on the Escort Way at Borenore had exceeded its annual limit of 60,000 tonnes of siltstone and suspended the licence until it received permission to expand extraction to 150,000 tonnes.
However, the suspension is unlikely to have an effect on the Southern Feeder Road, which has been sourcing material from the site.
Orange City Council spokesman Nick Redmond said some material from the Bald Hill quarry was used on the stage two of the road.
"Following the suspension of the extraction licence, council's construction contractor obtained material from alternate sources," he said.
"This had minimal effect on progress and no additional costs were transferred to council."
The EPA's notice to Maas Group said it asked for more information on quarrying operations in July and the information returned indicated "activities at the premises exceed the scale of activities permitted by the licence and the current development consent".
Maas Group bought Hamcon Civil earlier this year, while Regional Hardrock bought the quarry - Wesley Maas is director of both companies.
During a meeting in August between the EPA and Maas Group's business integration manager, Richard Tomkins, Mr Tomkins gave an undertaking to cease extraction from September 2 until approval could be secured from Cabonne Council to increase the limit to 150,000 tonnes a year for the next 36 years.
Only caretaker duties were planned to continue past September.
The application has been with the council since March and was considered at its recent meeting with a staff recommendation for approval, however councillors deferred the matter pending more information, particularly on traffic generation.
A site inspection has been scheduled for this week.
Maas Group has contended the 12 trucks already allowed to arrive and leave the quarry were enough to manage the extra tonnage, with between eight and 10 trucks a day expected.
NSW Roads and Maritime Services said the Escort Way would need upgrades if movements exceeded 12 trucks.
Maas Group was contacted for comment.
DO YOU WANT MORE ORANGE NEWS?
Receive our free newsletters delivered to your inbox, as well as breaking news alerts. Sign up below ...