An electrical fault in the golf cart shed has been blamed for the devastating blaze that destroyed the Wentworth Golf Club building on the weekend.
(min cost $8)
Login or signup to continue reading
It was the second major fire started by an electrical fault in Orange in three days.
A bar fridge sparked a fire that destroyed a storage shed at the Orange Emus Rugby Club at Endeavour Oval on Thursday.
Central West Police District commander Superintendent Chris Taylor said forensic officers had examined both fire sites and ruled out any link with the spate of car fires around Orange.
He said club officials had told police there had been an electrical issue at the club.
"There was a problem with the electrical supply a few weeks ago which wasn't able to be isolated, which wasn't able to be fixed, and we believe that has been the cause of this fire," he said.
"We are not treating the fire as being suspicious at this time and I don't believe it will be," he said.
He said items in the golf cart shed, which was part of the main building, fuelled the fire which erupted about 1.30am on Saturday.
"There was a lot of flammable material there with the golf carts, the batteries in the golf carts and also in the club. They were all destroyed in the fire," he said.
We are not treating the fire as being suspicious at this time.- Police Superintendent Chris Taylor
Club general manager James Bale said the damage bill "is going to be a few million dollars."
He said everything in the club had been destroyed in the 52-53-year-old building.
Mr Bale said insurance assessors had examined the wreckage but had yet to establish the full cost.
He said the pro-shop had survived, the course was open for play and they expected to get demountable buildings in place within a couple of weeks.
Fire and Rescue NSW Orange station officer Tim Anderson said there was usually an increase in electrical fault fires in both businesses and homes at this time of year as people started re-using heaters and blankets against the cold weather.
"What we are finding is people have had there electric heaters and blankets in storage over winter. The wire can break down, particularly the plastic insulation," he said.
He said people should roll up electric blankets and not fold them to limit damage.
Station Officer Anderson also said electrical equipment had use-by dates and people needed to be wary of older units they were turning on again after they had been in storage over summer.
Receive our free newsletters delivered to your inbox, as well as breaking news alerts. Sign up below ...
Sign up for our newsletter to stay up to date.