Police say they are close to making arrests over the spate of car fires in Orange.
Central West Police District commander Superintendent Chris Taylor said there had been 44 cars set alight in Orange this year.
He said most of them were stolen cars.
We think it won't be too long before we are able to make some arrests.Superintendent Chris Taylor
"We think it won't be too long before we are able to make some arrests in relation to them," he said on Monday.
"The community can rest assured we are putting 100 per cent effort into locating the people who are stealing these vehicles. We do believe they are not all locals and there are some other areas where they have similar occurrences occurring," he said.
MAP: Some of the car fires in Orange in 2019 ...
"We are not 100 per cent sure but we believe there is a couple of loose groups of young people involved and that's what our evidence is suggesting.
"That's what we found the last time we had this problem. We did have the problem during December and January but after some arrests during late January-early February that died down."
The latest fire occurred on Friday night and police are still trying to contact the owner of the vehicle.
CWPD Chief Inspector Scott Rayner said the Ford Falcon sedan was found well alight when crews arrived at the scene in Sir Neville Howse Place about 8pm.
"It was completely destroyed by fire," he said.
He said it was unclear if it was stolen and the vehicle's registration had been cancelled prior to the fire.
DO YOU WANT MORE ORANGE NEWS?
Receive our free newsletters delivered to your inbox, as well as breaking news alerts. Sign up below ...