ABOUT four months after he was released from jail, the teenager who shot at the feet of a farmer at Springside in May last year is accused of another firearm offence where he allegedly held a loaded shotgun to a man’s back and demanded drugs and cash.
Mitchell Barnes, 19, was refused bail in Orange Local Court on THursday for his alleged involvement in the robbery of a home in Maxwell Avenue on Wednesday August 28.
Barnes and two co-accused allegedy broke into the house armed with a gun and tomahawks.
Barnes pleaded not guilty to the offences of aggravated break and enter, possessing an unregistered firearm and possessing ammunition without a licence.
According to police facts, the alleged victim was forced around the home with a shotgun held to his back while the offenders searched the house for drugs and money.
He handed over some prohibited drugs and the offenders stole his wallet, which contained cash. He told police the offenders’ faces were partly concealed by balaclavas.
Police prosecutor Sergeant Jason Murdock argued the police case against Barnes was strong and there would likely be a lengthy jail sentence if he was convicted.
“He has a number of previous offences ... a serious firearm offence for which a jail sentence was imposed,” he said.
“My submission would be that there would be no bail conditions that could be imposed to mitigate the risk.”
Police searched Barnes’ home and found a 12-gauge shotgun under the dog kennel and found ammunition hidden in his mattress.
His solicitor, Rayna Pettet, argued her client should be given bail, because while he was on bail for shooting at the feet of the farmer last year he attended court on every occasion.
“He did not reoffend while he was on that restricted form of residence with his mother,” she said.
However the magistrate, Terry Lucas, said the allegation against Barnes was that he showed his weapon was loaded to the alleged victim to show him “he meant business”.
“There’s is a history of violence ... bail is refused,” Mr Lucas said.
The Dalton Street resident was sentenced to nine months in prison for the shooting on May 22, 2013 and he was released in April.