Orange's best wines for 2021 have been revealed, with Heifer Station's 2019 Single Vineyard Pinot Noir taking the top honour at the Orange Wine Show Trophy presentation.
Along with Best Wine in Show, Heifer Station's entry also won Best Red Wine, Best Single Vineyard and Best Pinot Noir.
Trophy winners across 18 categories were announced on Thursday, with judges naming the Sparkling, Pinot Noir, Chardonnay and Shiraz classes as highlights.
Judge Jeff Byrne said entries were down by about 30 per cent due to a difficult 2020 Vintage, but the calibre of entries across a number of styles was impressive: "This year has a nice spread of producers being awarded trophies, showing that there are a number of wine businesses pushing for high quality wines in Orange, which is terrific for the region."
President of the Orange Region Vigneron Association Tom Ward said winemakers were "very pleased" with the feedback.
"We're lucky to have judges recognise that Orange as a wine region is going from strength to strength."
Mr Ward the last 12 months had been "interesting" with COVID causing restrictions at cellar doors.
"The vintage of 2021 is small but extremely high quality, we've seen that with the aromatic whites in this year's show and we're excited about the wines being released for Vintage 2021."
The full list of winners were:
- Best White Wine of the Show: Gilbert 2016 Blanc de Blancs
- Best Red Wine of the Show: Heifer Station 2019 Single Vineyard Pinot Noir
- Best Wine of the Show: Heifer Station 2019 Single Vineyard Pinot Noir
- Best Single Vineyard: Heifer Station 2019 Single Vineyard Pinot Noir
- Best Exhibitor of the Show: Printhie Wines
- Wine of Provenance: Philip Shaw Chardonnay 2019, 2015 & 2009
- Special Chairman's Award: Swinging Bridge 2021 #003 Amber
- Best Sparkling: Gilbert 2016 Blanc de Blancs
- Best Riesling: Colmar Estate 2021 Block 5 Riesling
- Best Sauvignon: Printhie 2021 Mountain Range Sauvignon
- Best Young Chardonnay: See Saw 2019 Fulcra Chardonnay
- Best Older Chardonnay : First Creek Wines 2018 Single Vineyard Balmoral Chardonnay
- Best Pinot Gris: Brangayne of Orange 2021 Pinot Grigio
- Best Rosé: Mortimer's Family Wines 2021 Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon, Petit Verdot, Sangiovese, Tempranillo
- Best Pinot Noir: Heifer Station 2019 Single Vineyard Pinot Noir
- Best Shiraz: Brangayne of Orange 2018 Shiraz
- Best Cabernet Sauvignon: Brangayne of Orange 2018 Cabernet Sauvignon
- Best Mature Red: Gilbert 2017 Shiraz
Our journalists work hard to provide local, up-to-date news to the community. This is how you can continue to access our trusted content:
HAVE YOUR SAY
- Send us a letter to the editor using the form below: