A concerned mum has spoken out after her son suffered burns to his eye caused by hand sanitiser.
Kristy Davis received a phone call from Bletchington Public School on Thursday morning to say that her 10-year-old son Cooper had been squirted in the eye by another student.
"He was shaking and in a lot of pain," Ms Davis said of her son.
"I got him home and I rang my doctor just to get some advice and they said to take him straight to the hospital."
So she took him to Orange Hospital where Cooper was treated straight away.
"He went through three full bags of saline through the eye. His pH levels were 8.5 which is extremely high, which meant the alkaline was still in his eye and burning through," she added.
"They then sent us over to Bloomfield across the road to see a specialist. We're still waiting to see if it will be permanent damage."
They'll now have three doctor's appointments over the next week.
"He's in a bit of pain at the moment," she said.
"We got him to the optometrist this morning (Friday) who have put a lens over it to keep it protected. He's got to go back on Saturday, next Tuesday and then the Friday."
She is speaking out in the hope that there will be more education around the dangers that things like hand sanitiser can do.
"We've spoken to the parents of the child who did this, and we don't believe the child thought this would be the outcome. I think he just thought nothing would come of it and boys being boys," Ms Davis said.
"I just want to make it aware, because these sanitisers are everywhere now and kids can access it. What it's done to his eye is pretty sad. He is meant to ride bikes next week and they're not sure if he'll be able to.
"I don't want another family to go through it."
NSW Health has previously stated that hand sanitiser should be stored out of reach of children, anyone with learning or memory difficulties, or pets when not being used.
Other safety tips included always supervising children and anyone with learning or memory difficulties while they use alcohol-based hand sanitiser to avoid accidental swallowing or getting it in the eyes.
The 24-hour Poisons Information Centre is available on 13 11 26.
In response to the incident, a spokeswoman for NSW Education said: "An isolated incident occurred at Bletchington Public School involving two students misbehaving. One student rubbed hand sanitiser over the face of another student.
"Staff responded quickly by rinsing the affected student's face with water and calling the poisons information hotline. The hotline advised the same course of action which was already being undertaken by staff.
"The students' parents were called and appropriate disciplinary action will be taken."
Our journalists work hard to provide local, up-to-date news to the community. This is how you can continue to access our trusted content: