As the lockdown continues and the doors of Orange Regional Museum remain closed to visitors, staff behind the scenes have the opportunity to work on projects that might otherwise have populated the 'To Do' list for a little while longer.
As no doubt we all do at home, the museum has a large collection of photographs; family holidays, weddings, school days, sporting achievements, new cars, prized possessions, and beloved pets grace the pages of photograph albums and fill the boxes of loose images stored in the collection.
While things are quiet, staff are busy - scanning, researching, and recording those images entrusted to the museum's care.
One such collection of photographs depicts the Gartrell family.
Alison Brown and Alfred Gartrell, married in 1890 and went on to five children whilst running diary and orchard properties in March.
Their children and the subsequent generations are the subject of this wonderful collection.
If you have found yourself with some extra time to spare at home, you too may like to sort through your family photographs.
- Make sure you have clean, freshly washed and dried hands when handling your photographs. Try not to touch the emulsion as the oils and salts present in your skin can damage the photograph.
- If you choose to write the name of the person pictured in the photograph - use a 2B graphite pencil to write on the back of the photograph and press gently - if you cause an indentation in the photograph you could crack the emulsion and damage the image.
- Avoid adhesive tape and glue, and adhesive photograph albums - these products cause irreparable damage over time.
- Photographs are highly susceptible to fading. Store your photographs away from the light and consider putting copies on display and leaving originals in a safe place.
- Scanning your photographs can be a fantastic way of ensuring your treasured memories are preserved for the future, and handy to share with other family members.
- Store your photograph albums in a stable and dry environment. Avoid the coldest or hottest rooms of your house and definitely away from any moisture.
- Don't forget to have fun - enjoy the walk down memory lane!
How you can take part:
To donate items to Orange Regional Museum please email firstname.lastname@example.org.