It was hoped that last year would mark the return of a stand-alone women's soccer competition in Orange for the first time in two decades.
But the plug was pulled just at the last minute.
Waratahs senior secretary Robyn Churchland said although it was disappointing to get so close, they believed there would be another opportunity.
"We used to have a competition many many years ago, maybe 20 years ago and it just faded out," she said.
"So we've been trying to get up and running, because Australia has the World Cup coming in 2023."
That dream is now a reality, with Orange and District Football Association secretary Brett Hazzard confirming they have given the comp the green light.
"We're full steam ahead," he said.
"Obviously we're not at team nominations yet, but we've committed to the women's comp to give the clubs some sort of surety that it's going ahead so that they don't have to look elsewhere.
"I think it's huge. It's something we've lacked for a good while, something that was let slip back in those days and it's something that we need to do for our future growth.
"We've always had quite a number of women playing in the mixed competition, but it's important for them to have their own competition for girls to look up to."
To help drum up attention for the upcoming season, Waratah women are hosting Barnstoneworth women in a friendly match this Saturday at 3.30pm.
"It's really a friendly game, just to promote the women's competition and get some more interest from new people, people who may never have played soccer before and people that may have played years ago and may think to give it another go," Churchland added.
"Most of the ladies I've spoken to are very keen and excited because they play with the men and that's fine, they enjoy that, but they can't play their game.
"It's a different game playing with the women as opposed to playing mixed and I think a lot of the women like to play with the other women."
At the moment it is hoped that the competition will feature five teams, but the official list will have to wait until registrations are complete.
Facebook has banned news from its platform. You can read our response here.
Our journalists work hard to provide local, up-to-date news to the community. This is how you can continue to access our trusted content:
HAVE YOUR SAY
- Send us a letter to the editor using the form below