Orange will not have to move to Level 6 water restrictions until at least November after strong flows from the Macquarie River have boosted our water supply.
Orange Mayor Reg Kidd said he was delighted to see the latest analysis of Orange's water outlook.
"Based on the conservative assumption that there are no further flows from any source into Suma Park, we're now in the position where we can push back the start of Level 6 water restrictions until November 6," he said.
"That means pushing them back six months."
He said Orange had been receiving water from the river soon after the state government agreed to reduce the trigger point from 119 megalitres a day.
"The pipeline pumps were turned on in mid-February after some good widespread falls of rain," he said.
"At the time we were hoping they would keep running for a week or two. Now, three months later in mid-May, I am over the moon that they are still running."
Cr Kidd said about 800 megalitres had been pumped from the Macquarie into Suma Park.
"That's only taken a tiny fraction of the water as it made its way to Burrendong Dam.
"In the same period there's only been 183 megalitres from natural run-off into the dam from Summer Hill Creek."
Since the start of May stormwater harvesting has added 42 megalitres to the storage.
Orange City Council Infrastructure Committee chair Cr Jeff Whitton said the latest analysis of Orange's water outlook points to the significant impact of the Macquarie pipeline.
"Based on the actual figures, it's clear now that without the flows from the pipeline, Orange would have gone into Level 6 water restrictions back in March this year," he said.
HAVE YOUR SAY
- Send us a letter to the editor using the form below ...