The Relay for Life has been cancelled after three people tested positive to the coronavirus in Orange this week.
Organisers from Cancer Council NSW have sent out information to those who registered for the event, that was to be held this weekend.
The event was set to proceed until committee members met on Friday morning and decided to call the event off due to the developing situation around the coronavirus (COVID-19) infections in NSW.
A spokesman from the Cancer Council said the decision was not made lightly.
"However, the health of our participants, guests and the wider NSW community must come first," he said.
"We sincerely apologise for any inconvenience this may cause, particularly for those traveling or those that have made special arrangements to attend the event.
"Thank you for your intended participation and fundraising efforts in support of Orange & District Relay for Life."
"Your health, and that of your family and friends, is of upmost importance and we encourage you to take the recommended precautions during this time."
Participants will be updated at a later date about when the event can be held.
Prior to the cancellation 48 teams had signed up and $34,819.65 had been raised.
Relay for Life events have also been cancelled across Victoria, and the Hastings Relay for Life was cancelled due to the bushfires.
According to the World Health Organization people who have symptoms such as a runny nose, sore throat, cough, fever, pneumonia or difficulty breathing in severe cases should report to their doctor for testing.
Standard recommendations to prevent infection spread include regular hand washing, covering mouth and nose when coughing and sneezing, thoroughly cooking meat and eggs.
People should also avoid close contact with anyone showing symptoms of respiratory illness such as coughing and sneezing.
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
- Send us a letter to the editor using the form below: