Housing Plus says its latest social housing development will not be used to house criminals or paedophiles.
Its plan for 19 one and two-bedrooms houses off Emerald Street in north Orange is on public exhibition at Orange City Council.
However, as the project's value exceeds $5 million (it is $5.3 million) the development application will be decided by the Western Region Joint Regional Planning Panel.
The council, which knocked back a Housing Plus development in Lantana Place last week, can only submit a report to the JRPP.
Housing Plus project director Justin Cantelo said suggestions of criminals being housed in Housing Plus developments were untrue.
"There is a lot of misinformation put forward by objectors that it will be a half-way house or house criminals or paedophiles," he said.
"This is not correct and it is being suggested simply to stir up anxiety in the community and create opposition.
"These rental properties will be homes restricted to over 55s and working families."
Mr Cantelo said Housing Plus wanted to talk to residents about the project.
"We understand that people fear what they do not understand and we encourage members of the community with questions about the Emerald Street development to come to us directly," he said.
Council's refusal of the Lantana Place development application came after several residents told the council meeting of their fears of crime and anti-social behaviour from people living in the development.
Others opposed it on planning grounds and real estate values.
Mr Cantelo said Housing Plus hoped, following approval, to have the Emerald Street housing open to residents by mid-2021.
The DA is on public exhibition until Monday, October 7.
DO YOU WANT MORE ORANGE NEWS?
- Receive our free newsletters delivered to your inbox, as well as breaking news alerts. Sign up below ..