Printhie Wines have taken the 2018 Orange Wine Show’s major trophy for its Swift NV Cuvee Chardonnay Pinot Noir.
The Molong winery won the Best Wine of Show award for their non-vintage sparkling at The Hotel Canobolas on Friday, after scoring 56 points from a possible 60 in the Sparkling Wine class.
It’s good for us and hopefully good for other sparkling producers in the region,Ed Swift
The win in the bubbly division meant the wine was then tasted against the other four trophy-winning whites to emerge Best White Wine of Show, then against the Best Red Wine of Show, before the judges awarded the top trophy.
Ed Swift said the best thing about the win was seeing a sparkling receive the top accolade for the first time.
“It’s good for us and hopefully good for other sparkling producers in the region,” he said.
A panel of judges assessed 364 wines over three days this week, which will all be offered to the public to sample at a ticketed event at The Hotel Canobolas next Friday, which will mark the opening of Orange Wine Festival which runs until October 21.
OUR TOP DROPS ...
All of this year’s Orange Wine Show winners:
- Best Wine of Show: Swift NV Cuvee Chardonnay Pinot Noir
- Best White Wine of Show: Swift NV Cuvee Chardonnay Pinot Noir
- Best Red Wine of Show: JS Wine 2017 R Shiraz
- Best Exhibitor of Show: Colmar Estate
- Special Trophy: Gilbert 2013 Late Harvest Riesling
- Cellar Door of the Year: Rowlee Wines
- Vigneron of the Year: Mitch Kelly, See Saw Wines
Class Trophy Winners:
- Best Riesling: Pepper Tree 2018 Limited Release Riesling; Best Sauvignon Blanc: Gilbert 2017 Sur Lie Sauvignon Blanc; Best Other White: Swift NV Cuvee Chardonnay Pinot Noir; Best Young Chardonnay: First Creek Wines 2017 Single Vineyard Balmoral Chardonnay; Best Mature Chardonnay: Swinging Bridge 2016 Mrs Payten Chardonnay; Best Rosé Style: Rowlee Wines 2018 By Rowlee Rosé; Best Pinot Noir: Slow Wine Co 2016 Family Reserve Pinot Noir; Best Cabernets, Merlot, Malbec, Petit Verdot or blends: Tamburlaine Orange Reserve 2017 Malbec; Best Shiraz: JS Wine 2017 R Shiraz; Best Cabernet Sauvignon: Tamburlaine Orange Reserve 2016 Cabernet Sauvignon; Best Other Red: Rowlee Wines 2016 R Series Nebbiolo
DO YOU WANT MORE ORANGE AND DISTRICT NEWS?
- Receive our free newsletter delivered to your inbox every morning, as well as breaking news alerts. Sign up below …