Almost 400 firearms have been handed in to Canobolas Local Area Command (LAC) during the National Firearms Amnesty.
The amnesty, which ran from July 1 to September 30, encouraged people to surrender firearms which they didn’t use, need or were not licensed to help make the community safer.
Canobolas LAC duty officer Chief Inspector Peter Atkins on Monday reported a total of 375 firearms had been handed in to the command, which encompasses Orange, Cowra, Canowindra, Molong, Cumnock, Eugowra and Manildra, among other small locations.
VIDEO: Canobolas LAC Sergeant Brenden Turner talks about some of the rare guns surrendered:
Chief Inspector Atkins said antique pistols, replica firearms and a large number of old .303 and .22 calibre guns had been handed in, with another of historic value transferred to “a Central West museum”.
“It’s good to have them all handed in and disposed of accordingly,” he said.
Many of the weapons handed in had been handed down through families and were no longer used.
375 firearms have been handed in to the Command for the amnesty.Chief Inspector Peter Atkins
Across the state over 20,000 firearms and related items were surrendered to police.
A NSW Police spokeswoman said the final figure of firearms handed for the three-month campaign for registration, sale or destruction was still being tallied.
An estimated 51,000 firearms have been handed in across Australia.