Businesses and community groups donated $819,746.24 worth of equipment to Orange hospital in the past financial year and on Friday, those donors were invited to the hospital to see some of the new equipment and hear how they are helping patients.
About 75 people from at least 14 donor groups attended the thank you morning tea to celebrate the contributions.
The equipment included a laryngoscope, which Emergency Department nurse unit manager 3 Mim Eaton said enables staff to see inside a patient’s throat to reduce the chance of damaging the trachea or vocal chords when a tube is fed through.
She said another smaller piece of equipment, a Fibrescope Rhino-Laryn, can be fed through the nose, used on children or see inside the throat of someone who has been in a fire to see if they have a burnt airway.
Radiation therapist Phil Kent said a 3D printer donated to his department can produce facials moulds of patients receiving treatment on their face instead of having to sit through having a plaster mask made.
Renal services nurse unit manager Karen Fogo said a new plasmapheresis machine that removes plasma containing disease or antibodies and replaces it with fresh plasma has saved a patient’s family 21,000 kilometres in travel.
United Hospitals Auxiliaries of NSW, Orange Branch
- Compassionate Drugs $120,000
- Wall Mounted Blanket Warmer (Cancer Services) $4994
- FALLWatch (Rehab Ward) $8247.85
- Enhancement of battery operated power tool instrumentation (Theatre) $59,071.80
- Library books $2000
- Paediatric Trolley $3250
- Sun Nuclear 3DVH Software (Radiation Oncology) $21,480
- Fibrescope Rhino-Laryn portable (ED) $13,845.15
- Valleylab FT10 Energy Platform (Theatre) $16,000
- 3D Printer (Radiation Oncology) $4704.77
- other equipment
- Wheelchairs x 2
Blue Ladies and Men
- EMMA Capnograph (ICU) $1,500
Friends Assisting the Community
- Slotted laryngoscopes and light deflector $3278
- Quantative Fetal Fibronectin Testing (Maternity) $4000
Common Cents Fund Pty Ltd
- Jaundice Meter (Maternity) $7,500
Orange Premi-Babes Association
Blayney Junior Rugby League Club
- Funds to decorate the children’s recovery area in Theatre
- Plasmapharesis machine $70,000
Southern Cross Austereo – Give Me 5 for Kids
Kids Cancer Relief
Molong & District Garden Club
- Funds to maintain Fairy Sparkle Garden
Orange City Life
- Funds to purchase equipment for the Volunteer Inpatient Program
Lions Club of Orange Canobolas Inc
- Funds from New Year’s Eve fireworks $4000