Orange business forced to go mobile after suspect material closes building

WARNING: Weld Wear Solutions building has been closed due to asbestos but Ben Perriman and Matthew Still are still working. Photo: JUDE KEOGH 1108jkweld2
WARNING: Weld Wear Solutions building has been closed due to asbestos but Ben Perriman and Matthew Still are still working. Photo: JUDE KEOGH 1108jkweld2

An Orange businessman is warning building owners to check their properties after the building he was renting was closed following the discovery of asbestos.

Weld Wear Solutions was closed after an inspection by an independent consulting firm suggested asbestos dust was present.

The building is managed by Chris Gryllis Real Estate and Chris Gryllis said the owner was taking steps to fix the problem.

“We’ve followed the instructions of experts and instructed qualified people to do remediation,” Mr Gryllis said.

Matthew Still recently bought Weld Wear, however once what is believed to be asbestos dust was found, staff were forced to leave the building.

“We were ordered to close the doors,” Mr Still said.

“We’re still operating from the back of the van. We are still trading and still open for business. 

“We need to keep trading, if we don’t there won’t be a business left and people will be out of work.

“I think it’s a minor amount but enough of a concern to close the doors. 

“The dust comes off asbestos roof sheets through expansion and contraction.

“They rub together and that’s where the dust comes from, it’s something I’ve never known about.”

Mr Still said the warnings were always to never touch or disturb asbestos but he urged people to get their properties checked.

“I took over the business in September, I had an inspection after getting a condition report and an asbestos report is part of it,” he said.

“It’s no fault of the building owner, it’s something people didn’t even look at or think about. I’m glad we found it now and not in 10 years.

“I think a lot of people are scared about asbestos because of the potential cost. I don’t think people appreciate the danger.”

Mr Gryllis said the building’s owner was working on the problem.

“Its owner will take the most appropriate steps to rectify the problem,” he said.

“We realised there is an issue and we’re working to rectify that issue as fast as we can.”

Mr Gryllis said if there was doubt about what people thought was asbestos they should seek advice.

“It’s worth checking with experts to make sure it’s safe,” he said.

A SafeWork NSW spokesman confirmed a licensed asbestos removalist would be dispatched to the site.

An occupational hygienist would also be monitoring air quality at the location.

“SafeWork NSW has reviewed the business’s asbestos management plan and determined that it complies with work health and safety laws,” the spokesman said.