At any one time in Canobolas Local Area Command, there are 20 women at serious risk of physical harm or death from family violence.
Ten of those women need emergency accommodation so they can escape the risk of violence.
Those 20 women at risk at any one time, plus more than 1900 referrals in 2016 from Orange, Cowra, Cabonne, Parkes and Forbes is behind Housing Plus’ drive for a crisis centre in the city.
From those 1900 referrals last year, 654 were at serious risk of physical harm or death.
The not-for-profit organisation says they will need $1.2 million for the domestic violence crisis centre to become a reality.
Housing Plus has had a strong start to its fundraising efforts to build a crisis shelter, but more is needed.
They’ve received $61,000 from community groups along with support from Orange City Council to help locate and secure land for the centre.
Following the first community consultation last year, Housing Plus is preparing to hold a second one where they will update residents about the project and the plan to achieve their goal.
“Further fundraising plans are in the pipeline to raise the required $1.2 million to build the crisis centre including a white tie fundraising ball on Friday, May 5,” Housing Plus’ marketing and events co-ordinator Kate Noller said.
“Without the support of the community, the crisis centre will not happen,” Ms Noller said.
“The more our community is invested in the project, the safer our women become.
“We need everybody’s support to help us reach our fundraising milestones.
“This can only be achieved through donations and fundraising activities from local businesses, community organisations, sporting groups, volunteer groups, charitable organisations, church groups, schools and individuals.”
If you’re interested in donating to see the women’s domestic violence crisis shelter built in Orange, you can contact Housing Plus on 1800 603 300.