A CASH pool of more than $1000 is up for grabs when the Orange City Bowling Club hosts its annual Junior Bowls Tournament next month.
Now in its second year after 18 junior bowlers fought out the inaugural tournament in 2013, Orange City Bowling Club’s Lee Stinson said on the back of the success of 12 months ago he was hoping for another strong season player-number wise when the 2014 competition is held on Saturday, September 6.
“Obviously we’d like similar numbers to what we had last year but with the eligibility rules there’s a few guys who played last year who can’t this time around,” Stinson said, with the tournament open to bowlers 18 years of age or under.
“The basic idea behind it is we had a lot of juniors at the club over the last 12 to 18 months, and we thought it’d be best if we put something together for the juniors to aim towards.
“We extended that invitation to juniors at other clubs so our young bowls can bowl against their friends as well.”
Following a $10 entry fee, players tackle the 2014 tournament as single entries only.
Guaranteed four games throughout the day, each with a different partner, individual scores determine final placings.
The tournament will also include a junior coaching and development session at Orange City the next day, Sunday, September 7.
Last year’s tournament, won via a three-way tie between Country Club duo Aiden Leonard and Anthony Fisher and Grenfell’s Blake Bradtke, featured bowlers from Orange, Molong, Dubbo, Grenfell, Kandos and Blayney, and Stinson was hopeful of this year’s cash prize would continue to draw from bowling centres in the region.
For further information on the junior tournament call Stinson (0432 823 902) or Steve Carr (0423 529 220).