STRONG winds are being blamed for a major blackout in Orange on Tuesday night.
At 7.30pm around 890 residences in south-west Orange and the surrounding areas of Canobolas, Nashdale, Spring Creek and Springside were left without power.
Acting regional manager of Essential Energy’s south eastern region Tony Ryan said crews were dispatched from the Orange depot to investigate the cause of the fault and restore power.
“Attending crews discovered a tree had been blown into power lines on a property on Canobolas Road,” Mr Ryan said.
“Local crews were able to isolate the fault and safely restore power to about 680 customers within the hour with most of the remaining customers restored by 9.30pm.”
Mr Ryan said two customers remained without power overnight and crews continued to carry out repairs yesterday morning.
“In these circumstances Essential Energy’s priority is to ensure that the area is made safe so vegetation can be removed before network repairs can commence,” Mr Ryan said.
Mr Ryan said people should be cautious of power lines and electrical hazards in windy conditions and remain at least eight metres away from fallen wires and anything in contact with them.
“I’d like to thank the local community for its patience while our crews work in challenging conditions to complete repairs to the network,” Mr Ryan said.
To report a fallen power line, or power supply interruptions contact Essential Energy on 13 20 80.