WHILE the latest NSW Bureau of Crime Statistics and Research (BOCSAR) data indicates an increase in indecent assault, sexual offences and domestic assault in Orange over the past 12 months, this may be as a result of increased reporting of offences by victims, say police.
According to the BOCSAR figures released on Thursday, indecent assault and sexual offences jumped from 27 in 2012 to 46 in 2013, while domestic-related assault also rose during the 12-month period from 259 to 290.
Canobolas Local Area Command Superintendent David Driver said police encouraged the reporting of these offences.
“We don’t want them swept under the carpet,” he said.
Superintendent Driver said the more people who identified these incidents as criminal offences, the more likely they were to report them.
The BOCSAR figures stated non-domestic related violence in Orange dropped from 351 incidents in 2012 to 310 last year, as did the number of sexual assaults, which dropped from 30 to 24.
Despite a recent spike in break and enters to dwellings, the figures show the number of incidents has dropped from 453 in 2012 to 432 in 2013.
Superintendent Driver said while he was always pleased to see these figures decline, they did not reflect what was happening in Orange at the moment.
“Police need the support of the community to deter criminals and make their properties more secure,” he said.
Superintendent Driver said some recent break and enters had occurred after residents had left windows or doors unlocked, sometimes for only a short period of time.
Theft from a motor vehicle continues to be a problem for Orange residents, with incidents jumping from 346 in 2012 to 412 last year.
“This is a crime category that we do a lot of work on,” Superintendent Driver said.
“People need to be reminded not to leave anything valuable in their vehicles, in particular, in view.
“Police are actively engaged in identifying people in the community who are committing these crimes.”
Superintendent Driver said Orange often had spikes in property crimes.
“Some groups will keep going until they’re arrested,” he said.
The BOSCAR figures also show there has been a drop in motor vehicle theft from 139 in 2012 to 98 last year.