WorkCover investigation: farmer electrocuted when he got out of tractor

INITIAL investigations by WorkCover NSW suggest a Cudal farmer died when he alighted from his tractor shortly after the spray boom he was transporting came in contact with overhead powerlines.

The 37-year-old farmer was electrocuted at his Escort Way property on Wednesday.

A Workcover NSW spokesperson said preliminary inquiries indicate the man was driving a tractor to spray weeds on the property when the arms on the spray boom came into contact with an overhead power line. 

“The man is then understood to have alighted from the tractor while the boom was in contact with the powerline and been electrocuted as a result,” the spokesperson said.

“WorkCover’s investigation is ongoing.”

Essential Energy confirmed its workers had isolated the power supply at Cudal after receiving notification of a fault on an 11,000 volt power line and a subsequent report from police on the fatality. 

“Network protection equipment operated immediately to switch power off to the affected area after detecting a fault on the power line at 9.35am,” the spokesperson said.

“Essential Energy is assisting police and WorkCover NSW with investigations into this tragic incident.”

PHOTOS: MAN ELECTROCUTED BY POWER LINES ON TRACTOR

Smartphone
Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide
Desktop