Bid to be at Gallipoli for Anzac Day centenary still up in the air

WHEN Cassie Carslake and her husband Brett set their hearts on attending the 100th  anniversary commemorations of  Anzac Day at Gallipoli in 2015 they didn’t expect people to be so vocal about their objections.

“We’ve had a lot of negative feedback,” Mrs Carslake said.

“People ask why we’re going all that way [to Turkey] just for that.”

Mrs Carslake said the couple made the decision 11 years ago to attend the 100th anniversary commemorations, and put their name into the ballot on November 16 last year, after also signing up with a tour group travelling to the ceremony in the hope it would increase their chances of selection.

While preference will be given to direct descendants of those who served in the Gallipoli campaign, anyone can take part in the ballot  run by the Australian government.

The Carslakes will have to wait until later this month to learn if they’ve been successful in gaining places in the ballot.

Mrs Carslake says there will be tears if they win or lose.

“I’ll be so happy if we get in, but if we don’t I’ll be gutted, absolutely gutted,” she said.

“It’s not about ticking something off my bucket list. I really want to go to have a greater understanding of what they went through.”

If they are successful the Carslakes, with their young sons Jack and Drew, will spend 10 days in Turkey watching the Anzac Day service and touring the surrounding area.

Mrs Carslake said while her children may not appreciate the significance of the trip, they will in years to come.

In the future the couple also plans to walk the Kokoda Trail.

tracey.prisk@fairfaxmedia.com.au

Smartphone
Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide
Desktop