Helping Filipinos to weather the storm

THREE months after Typhoon Haiyan ripped through the Philippines care packages will leave Orange today that will hopefully ease some of the pain.

Philippines born Julia Egea who now lives in Orange said her heart went out to the typhoon-ravaged country following the destructive tropical cyclone on November 8, 2013.

The typhoon killed 6200 people and left nearly 2000 others missing.

“It’s more than a million people affected and so many died but they really have no idea how many,” she said.

“There’s no electricity and they are living in tents.

“Some have generators but they need petrol for the generators and they have no money.

“Every structure still hasn’t been restored and there still doesn’t seem to be any progress.”

Among the boxes, each weighing 60 to 80 kilograms, are new blankets, towels and toys along with donated clothes from St Vincent de Paul.

“These children there didn’t have Christmas so we’ll get it to them by Easter,” she said.

Mrs Egea said she wanted to wait to send the care packages until the initial disaster relief had been met.

“There’s probably more of a need now because they’re got a place and the kids are at school,” she said.

Thanks to generous donations from St Vincent de Paul and the community 24 boxes were packed and ready but the next challenge was to find the freight cost of $150 per box.

“I want to thank Father Paul Devitt for letting me talk in the four masses at St Mary’s and St Joseph’s churches,” she said.

Thanks to Father Devitt enough cash donations were made to allow all of the boxes to be sent.

The boxes will be distributed to churches in Tacloban City, Cebu, Iloilo and Bohol.

Smartphone
Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide
Desktop