Orange residents who turned up in their thousands to the pop-up vaccination clinic at the DPI building last week have been applauded by Western NSW Local Health District.
In the week commencing September 6 until September 12, 4200 people received a COVID-19 vaccine at the Orange hub. While 4100 people were vaccinated in Bathurst.
In the one weekend, 2000 people were vaccinated across Orange and Bathurst.
Western NSW Local Health District (WNLHD) executive officer Scott McLachlan was confident that "well over" 80 per cent of Orange had now received their first dose of a COVID-19 vaccine; while half the population was expected to have now received both doses.
"It was just amazing to see so many people vaccinated over the last week in both Bathurst and Orange. Thank you to everyone that's coming out," he said.
"We know that the rate of first dose across western New South Wales is now about 78 per cent - so getting close to 80 per cent for doses.
"I'll say around mid-October we'll get to around that 70 per cent double dose level [but]... that relies on everyone looking for opportunities for your second dose.
"We've had quite a significant number of people in the last 24 or 48 hours that haven't signed up for their second dose appointment [and] we're really worried about their health but also want to make sure that we can get vaccines into the arms of as many people as possible."
In response to Orange MP Phil Donato's call for communities with 80 per cent vaccination rates to be allowed to open up, Mr McLachlan said it was less about the overall percentage and more about protecting those most vulnerable.
As of 8pm Sunday, there were no new COVID cases in Orange but 12 across western NSW, including 5 in Bathurst and 4 in Dubbo. It was also announced Monday that a man in his 90s from Dubbo had died with the virus.
Our journalists work hard to provide local, up-to-date news to the community. This is how you can continue to access our trusted content:
HAVE YOUR SAY
- Send us a letter to the editor using the form below ...