Orange's fire fighters are being hailed as "champions" after helping free Garfield the beagle from an unusual predicament.
The seven-year-old rescue dog was spooked by fireworks on Saturday night while in his kennel at his home in west Orange.
Garfield's owner, Louise Muggleton, believes her normally reserved beagle was attempting to find refuge inside the family home after being spooked by the loud noise and then found himself wedged between two steel bars on a side gate.
When Louise's son, Brock, found Garfield, attempts to free the stuck pooch were unsuccessful and a call to the fire department was the family's only option.
Fire and Rescue NSW Orange Fire Station senior firefighter Brian Webster was able to use the battery powered "jaws of life" to spread the steel bars and release Garfield, reuniting him with the Muggletons and his kennel pal Lola, a 15-year-old beagle.
"He's feeling a bit sorry today," Mrs Muggleton said.
"He got his whole head and two front legs and half his body through - we don't know how that was possible.
"The crackers must have been really close and he must have tried to push through the gate to get to us.
He's feeling a bit sorry today.Louise Muggleton on her seven-year-old beagle Garfield
"My son went outside and he came running back in and said 'Mum, come quick, something's wrong with Garfield. He's stuck in the gate', so I went out and when Brock tried pulling him back through the gate it didn't work. It was too painful for him."
She said senior firefighter Webster and co were quick to respond and "they were wonderful, champions".
Fire and Rescue NSW Orange Fire Station officer Matt Jeffery said jobs like this are "always rewarding".
"Especially when Garfield gave us an appreciative wag of his tail," Mr Jeffrey added.
Our journalists work hard to provide local, up-to-date news to the community. This is how you can continue to access our trusted content:
HAVE YOUR SAY
- Send us a letter to the editor using the form below ...