Pam Robinson is pleading with residents to keep an eye on their pets after her beloved pup, Sno, fell victim to mice bait.
"He died in agony," Ms Robinson said.
"He was howling out in pain.
"It is something that will haunt me for the rest of my days."
Ms Robinson and Sno had been companions for two years after his original owner had passed away from cancer.
The pair lived at a retirement Village in Dubbo, where, unknown to Ms Robinson at the time, Sno had eaten a mouse that had been poisoned with mice bait.
"He must have caught a mouse either in the house or out in the courtyard, but I hadn't realised," Ms Robinson said.
"I had tried to teach him not to touch them.
"If I had my time over again I would have put a muzzle on him. That's the only way I can think of that could have stopped him."
Ms Robinson said Sno showed no symptoms right before he died and warns residents to keep an eye on their animals.
"He had no symptoms other than... he would snore every once in a while," she said.
"He wasn't vomiting or anything like that.
"I had no idea he was dying and by the time I got him to a vet it was too late."
Ms Robinson had been with a friend when she realised Sno needed medical attention.
"He was a beautiful little dog and he loved me so much,' she said.
"I just want people to know and to be aware. He was in so much pain and I couldn't do anything to help him."
Ms Robinson said the vet trip cost her $830, but still, she ended up walking away without Snow in her arms.
"I would happily pay that again to save him," she said.
There are a number of symptoms that could appear in animals who have eaten poison including weakness and lethargy, vomiting or coughing blood, nose bleeds, bleeding from the gums, blood in stools, bruising and breathing difficulties.
However, there are several different poisons used for mice and rats and each come with different side effects.
Residents who suspect their pet to have ingested poison are urged to contact their local vet immediately.
Our journalists work hard to provide local, up-to-date news to the community. This is how you can continue to access our trusted content:
HAVE YOUR SAY
- Send us a letter to the editor using the form below