Fire and Rescue Orange Station Officer Matt Jeffrey applauded the quick thinking of property owners and their neighbours after they were instrumental in assisting crews to save the contents of a shed that went up in flames on Wednesday night.
Fire and Rescue crews along with Rural Fire Service officers simultaneously responded to reports of the shed fire at a property on Griffin Road, off the Mitchell Highway, with those initial calls coming at 8.01pm on Wednesday night.
Fire and Rescue crews arrived just 12 minutes after the call and knocked down the majority of the fire before RFS officers achieved final extinguishment, drastically minimising the damage following initial efforts from the property owners and neighbours.
A tractor appeared to have sparked the fire, with property owners and neighbours dragging the machine out of the shed and immediately calling triple zero.
They clearly identified the entrance to the property with cars, easing the pressure on fire crews and allowing the majority of the shed's contents to be saved.
Station Officer Jeffrey also sent a reminder to residents who fall into Orange City Council's 'No Burn' area that waste cannot be burnt off, after crews responded to what was eventually determined to be a rubbish fire in east Orange.
Just after 5pm on Wednesday numerous triple zero calls were made reporting a large plume of black smoke around the Edward Street area.
- READ MORE: NSW plan to return international students
As one crew was dispatched the reports were confirmed and a second truck requested, however upon arrival officers discovered the location of the rubbish fire was actually a commercial premises off McNeilly Avenue and quickly extinguished the blaze.
We depend on subscription revenue to support our journalism. If you are able, please subscribe here. If you are already a subscriber, thank you for your support.