LATEST COVID-19 DEVELOPMENTS:
* The federal government has promised to do all it can to help the thousands of Australians stranded in India return home once flights restart from the coronavirus battleground on May 15.
* Western Australia will close three "high-risk" quarantine hotels and indefinitely reduce its returned traveller intake to 512 a week after a COVID-19 breach prompted a snap lockdown.
* Seven new COVID-19 cases reported in Queensland have come from the British-flagged Inge Kosan gas tanker off the Sunshine Coast. The government is assessing if the infected crew can be treated onboard, with the deputy premier warning more COVID cases from the vessel are possible.
* A mass COVID-19 vaccination hub is set to open its doors at Sydney Olympic Park on May 10.
* A new rapid and low-cost COVID test has been developed by a Queensland company with the breakthrough expected to be used worldwide.
AUSTRALIAN VACCINATION NUMBERS:
* There have been 2,029,544 doses administered in the national COVID-19 vaccination rollout up to Tuesday, including 60,207 in the past 24 hours.
* Of the total, 1,268,574 have been administered by the Commonwealth (an increase of 42,143 in the past 24 hours).
* 1,057,804 have been issued in primary care (+36,576), and 210,770 in aged and disability facilities (+5567).
* 760,970 have been administered by the states and territories, including 18,064 in the past 24 hours.
* 198,492 have been administered in NSW (+3485 ), 198,228 in Victoria (+6584), 139,489 in Queensland (+2402), 91,957 in Western Australia (+2386), 55,478 in South Australia (+1205), 35,316 in Tasmania (+1021), 26,584 in the ACT (+605), and 15,426 in the NT (+376).
AUSTRALIAN CORONAVIRUS NUMBERS:
* Australia reported no locally acquired virus cases on Wednesday. There were 25 new overseas-acquired cases: nine in NSW, nine in Queensland (including seven aboard the Inge Kosan gas tanker), four in WA, two in Victoria and one in the NT.
* The national death toll is 910: Victoria 820, NSW 56, Tasmania 13, WA 9, Queensland 7, SA 4, ACT 3 (Two Queensland residents who died in NSW have been included in the official tolls of both states).
GLOBAL CORONAVIRUS NUMBERS:
* Cases: at least 148,732,600
* Deaths: at least 3,135,400
* Recovered: at least 86,267,500
Data current as of 1730 AEST on April 28, taking in federal and state/territory government updates and Johns Hopkins Coronavirus Resource Centre figures.
Australian Associated Press