On the first anniversary of the death of Wellington's Frank Smith, both Homicide Squad detectives and the man's family are renewing their appeals for anyone with information relating to the 2020 shooting to come forward.
About 4.30pm on Monday, April 27 last year, police were called to Wellington Hospital after the 48-year-old presented with a gunshot wound to his abdomen. Despite the efforts of hospital staff he unable to be revived.
Initial inquiries were conducted by officers from Orana Mid-Western Police District before detectives from the State Crime Command's Homicide Squad took carriage of the investigation under Strike Force Libani.
Homicide Squad Commander, Detective Superintendent Danny Doherty, said detectives were continuing to explore several lines of inquiry to identify those responsible for Mr Smith's death.
"It has now been a year since this investigation began, and police wish to extend their sincere appreciation to those in the local community who have already come forward and spoken to police," he said.
"During the past 12 months, detectives have conducted a significant canvass, including speaking with several of Frank's family, friends and associates - as well as reviewing CCTV in the area.
"Last October, officers released vision of a vehicle seen in the vicinity of Thornton Street shortly after Frank was shot. Police have now spoken with the owner of the vehicle and investigations remain ongoing.
"Homicide Squad detectives have returned to Wellington and would like to speak with anyone who hasn't yet come forward to police to obtain justice for Frank."
Frank Smith's daughter, Linda-Rose Morris, urged anyone in the local community with information about her father's death to make contact with detectives.
"Today makes one year that I have been without my father and my daughter has been without her grandfather," she said.
"Precious time has been taken away from us - including the time my daughter had to know, and spend time with, her beloved pop.
"We now turn to the community of Wellington for answers. Please - if you know what happened to dad, come forward and help my family the answers we need after such a terrible year of heartache."
Investigation under Strike Force Libani are continuing.
Anyone with information that may assist Strike Force Libani detectives is urged to contact Crime Stoppers: 1800 333 000 or https://nsw.crimestoppers.com.au. Information is treated in strict confidence.
We depend on subscription revenue to support our journalism. If you are able, please subscribe here. If you are already a subscriber, thank you for your support.