Police have confirmed a report is being prepared for the coroner as part of the ongoing investigation into a fire in Orange's main street last week, which destroyed a building and gutted the long-standing cafe within along with the apartment above it.
Detective Chief Inspector Grassick, Central West Police District crime manager, confirmed the investigation has been conducted in conjunction with Fire and Rescue NSW investigators in an attempt to uncover the cause of the blaze.
However, he couldn't provide any specific details regarding that investigation.
We're now working through the examination that was conducted by specialist police and fire investigatorsDetective Chief Inspector Grassick
"We are preparing a report for the coroner at the moment, but until it has all been pieced together we can't provide anything beyond that at the moment," Mr Grassick said.
For context, while the traditional role of a coroner is to investigate and make findings about sudden, violent, suspicious or unnatural deaths in NSW coroners also have jurisdiction to investigate fires and explosions, as is the case here.
"The scene has been examined though and has been released back to the owner, so we're now working through the examination that was conducted by specialist police and fire investigators," Mr Grassick said.
Orange City Council confirmed it has been and will continue to conduct inspections to assess the integrity and safety of the buildings and over-footpath awnings that may have been impacted by the fires.
Work is expected to begin in the affected area in the coming days, to ensure and maintain safety.
The footpath on the northern side of the affected block, between Sale and Anson streets, remains closed, with one lane of Summer Street also still sectioned off to create a temporary, protected pathway for pedestrians in the area.
Upward of 30 emergency services personnel were on site at one stage fighting the blaze, which three fire trucks were initially dispatched to after reports were received at 11.32am on Monday, April 5.
Firefighters from Bathurst and Kelso were called in to assist as the blaze escalated throughout the day and officers remained on site overnight as well.
- READ MORE: Slash the beer tax: help amid virus hangover
Along with the above apartment, Cafe Latte bore the brunt of the blaze just days after the business' 12-year anniversary, with owners Aaron and Emma Wright confirming the worst and saying they were 'devastated' after the incident.
As of April 6, Fire and Rescue NSW acting inspector for the Central West Dane Philippe said there was "absolutely no indication" that the blaze was the result of arson.
Our journalists work hard to provide local, up-to-date news to the community. This is how you can continue to access our trusted content:
HAVE YOUR SAY
- Send us a letter to the editor using the form below ...