The extent of the housing shortage in Orange was clearly shown this week with only 126 properties available for sale across the entire city on Wednesday morning.
Fitzgerald Estate Agents director Josh Fitzgerald said the shortages were as tight as he had seen.
"That's a very, very low number," he said.
"In 2015 over 1000 properties were for sale, now we're talking 126.
In 2015 over 1000 properties were for sale, now we're talking 126.Josh Fitzgerald
"There is a high appetite for property in Orange."
Mr Fitzgerald said demand was exceeding supply with a lack of housing and land for new housing.
He said the situation would likely lead to a rise in house prices.
Mr Fitzgerald said while some home owners would be keen to cash in on the market boom they were faced with the dilemma of finding somewhere else to live.
"The next move becomes difficult," he said.
The demand for property is across price ranges, including for more than $1 million.
Mr Fitzgerald said owners who had sold homes for big prices in Orange had taken a variety of new paths.
"A lot of them have moved away. One group went to New Zealand, some of them have gone up the coast," he said. Mr Fitzgerald said others had looked to downsize to a smaller property while others had needed to move into larger premises.
Sales over the million-dollar mark in Orange have included a property at 9 Sale Street which sold for $1.56 million.
That would make it the fifth highest price for a home near the centre of Orange, according to the Central Western Daily's records.
This week a property at 13 Kite Street also sold for more than $1 million.
It had a price guide of $1.3-1.35 million.
The sale price has been withheld but Mr Fitzgerald, the selling agent, said it "was very close to that" guide.
And a house at 44 Valencia Drive in west Orange, has sold for more than $1 million in the past few weeks.
ORANGE'S TOP SELLERS
House sales over $1 million in the CBD and city include:
- 100 Franklin Road, Peter Fisher, $2.03 million
- 4 Sale Street, $1.86 million, Fitzgerald
- 39-41 Byng Street, $1.855 million, Benchmark
- 21 Summer Street, $1.6 million, LJ Hooker
- 9 Sale Street, $1.56 million, Fitzgerald
- 27 Byng Street, $1.5 million, McCormack Barber
- 91-93 Woodward Street, $1.48 million, McCormack Barber/Fitzgerald
- 78 Byng Street, $1.46 million, McCormack Barber
- 74 Byng Street, $1.459m, McCormack Barber
- 14 Kite Street, $1.45 million, LJ Hooker
- 32 Clinton Street, $1.43 million, Professionals
- 26 Kite Street, $1.4 million, LJ Hooker
- 29 Byng Street $1.4 million, Williams Machin
- 177 Anson Street, $1.39 million, One Agency
- 399 Anson Street, $1.33 million, Our City
- 65 Clinton Street, $1.32 million, Peter Fisher
- 151 Hill Street, $1.3 million, McCormack Barber
- 71 Moulder Street, $1.3 million, Blowes
- 131 March Street, $1.295 million, One Agency
- 15 Sale Street, $1.29 million, Benchmark
- 26 Byng Street, $1.28 million, John Cook
- 72 Byng Street, $1.27 million, McCormack Barber
- 175 Anson Street, $1.25 million, McCormack Barber
- 3 Clinton Street, $1.225 million, LJ Hooker/McCormack Barber
- 40 Clinton Street, $1.2 million, Williams Machin
- 36 Hill Street, $1.1 million, Blowes
- 21 March Street, $1.1 million, Fitzgerald
- 39-41 Byng Street, $1.03 million, McCormack Barber
- 62 Byng Street, $1.02 million, Townsend
- 52 Kite Street, $1 million, LJ Hooker.
- 143 Sale Street, $1 million, Fitzgerald
- 13 Kite Street, N/A, Fitzgerald.
DO YOU WANT MORE ORANGE NEWS?
- Receive our free newsletters delivered to your inbox, as well as breaking news alerts. Sign up below ...