Qantas announces plan to fly between Orange and Sydney
Qantas announced it would begin flights between Orange and Sydney on February 12 in a move QantasLink CEO John Gissing said would help "promote Orange on a global stage".
The plan was for QantasLink to fly 11 return flights between Orange and Sydney on a mix of Q300 and Q200 aircraft adding more than 45,000 seats on the route each year from May 11.
Qantas said Orange residents and visitors would benefit from competitive fares and more flight options as well as the onward connectivity through Qantas' domestic and international network and partner airlines like Emirates and American Airlines.
"After years of locals calling for the flying kangaroo, the iconic red tail will touch down at Orange airport for the first time in May," Mr Gissing said.
"Orange is a thriving place with an increasingly diverse economy. There's growing demand for a premium airline to connect business and leisure travellers.
Qantas was delayed by coronavirus but launched its flights in July.
Plans made for A Day on the Green
Roundhouse Entertainment promoter Michael Newton announced on February 1 that A Day on the Green would return to Heifer Station later in the year.
"But things don't always go to plan. With these international acts we're only one date on a world tour, so things can change," he said.
Originally Kylie Minogue had been scheduled for the inaugural show, until her itinerary changed and Cold Chisel announced their world tour.
Roundhouse Entertainment was currently in the process of locking in a headliner for its next Orange show, which it hoped to announce in March.
Mr Newton said at the first Orange event, which sold out, there were some "teething problems", including long wait times for attendees leaving the festival.
"We hope to get the use of another road in and out of the venue which we weren't allowed to use this time," he said.
Unfortunately the 2020 plans were scuttled due to COVID-19.
Students stay home amid coronavirus concerns
James Sheahan Catholic High School and Kinross Wolaroi School confirmed they would have students stay home in the first week of February as a precautionary measure against the novel coronavirus.
Both schools were in contact with families who had travelled to China in the past 14 days and advised them to keep pupils at home for a fortnight.
The warning came after a sharp escalation in the severity of the outbreak, with 132 confirmed dead in China on Friday and the seventh confirmed case of the virus in Australia on Wednesday.
School was otherwise progressing as normal.
James Sheahan principal Peter Meers said while the school had been proactive in its response, he did not believe there was any reason for parents to be concerned.
"I think both state and federal government are acting quickly and providing information to schools," he said.
Earthquake with 2.5 magnitude felt by residents across Orange
A confirmed earthquake was felt by residents across Orange at 12.44am on February 14.
The earthquake was recorded as having a 2.5 magnitude on the Richter scale.
According to Geoscience Australia, the earthquake struck 10 kilometres underground.
Geoscience Australia senior seismologist Jonathan Bathgate said the earthquate was "quite on the small scale" and was about 10 kilometres north north-west of Orange.
"It was certainly felt throughout Orange, 150 reports came into the National Earthquake Alert Centre, pretty much from people in Orange," Dr Bathgate said.
"The reports are that it was a mild shake not lasting very long at all, it was noticed by people because of the time of the day when people are settling down to sleep."
"We get earthquakes of this size relatively frequently in Orange."
Siosaia Vave not signed for Blayney in 2020 Group 10 season
Blayney president Damon Taylor said the "resilient" Bears were better equipped than most to roll with the punches, and they'll have to be to handle the latest blow in the lead-up to the 2020 Group 10 season.
Big name off-season signing Siosaia Vave has allegedly not been seen in Blayney since collecting his sign-on bonus, and has failed to answer or return any phone calls from the Bears' committee since Christmas.
The club went public with their dismay on Sunday night, Vave's disappearing act first outed in the Sydney press.
Vave then reemerged on Monday, calling the Bears to express his desire to appear with the club still, but Taylor said the former Parramatta, Manly and Cronulla prop "won't be playing" in Blayney this season.
Also making news ...
- Community radio station rocked, station manager sacked
- Power outages in west and north Orange
- Masked intruders attack man at Clifton Grove
- Dance Fuse launched to honour memory of Steph Sandford
WHAT DO YOU REMEMBER IN FEBRUARY?
- Send us a letter to the editor using the form below ...