A proposal to run a show-style carnival at the Orange Showground for up to 500 people next month looks set to be knocked back.
A report to Orange City Council has recommended the event be refused.
Pink Amusements, which is based outside of Orange, has applied to council to run the Spring Family Carnival on November 28-29.
Entry would be free but patrons would buy tickets to go on the nine rides, play the six sideshow games or to buy showbags and food.
A similar event at the same venue from a different organiser, Ace Attractions, was refused by council last month amid concerns about COVID-19 risks.
That event was approved for Bathurst while a Spring Family Carnival event was held in Forbes last month.
The staff report said under current COVID-19 rules major public events were limited to people admitted by ticket and provided with seats or where the venue was big enough to allow four square metres of space per person.
It said the recommendation had been made after considering several factors.
That included public concerns about people travelling to Orange from capital cities bringing a risk of spreading the coronavirus.
"There has been some pressure on council from social media and other sources to not have events that allow people from other locations to attend," it said.
"This pressure is more prevalent in COVID-19 infection surges.
"All events are analysed for risk measures and in particular a COVID action plan."
The organisers have provided a COVID plan which included staff having temperature control readers.
HAVE YOUR SAY
- Send us a letter to the editor using the form below: