At least 18 wines produced by Orange region wineries or by others using grapes grown in the region have won gold medals at the 2020 NSW Wine Awards.
They represent 27 per cent of the 65 gold medals awarded among 904 entrants.
The gold medallists now move on to the next stage where the trophy winners and the 2020 NSW Wine of the Year, will be announced on October 23 in Sydney.
Cooks Lot and Philip Shaw Wines were each awarded two gold medals.
Other Orange region wineries to receive gold included Angullong Wines, Colmar Estate, JS Wine, Printhie Wines, Rowlee Wines and See Saw Wines. Mudgee-based Gilbert Wines won three gold medals using fruit from Orange.
Philip Shaw Wines managing director Damian Shaw said it was a great result considering the difficulties of drought, smoke taint and COVID-19 thrown at vignerons in the past year.
Two reds from the winery scored gold medals, the 2018 No89 Shiraz and the 2019 No8 Pinot Noir.
He said it was the second gold medal for the No8 Pinot Noir following success last year. "It's more rewarding with the same wine and different vintages," he said.
Judges particularly praised the quality of shiraz in the awards. Mr Shaw said it was pleasing their shiraz was considered among the best. "It did do well in the cooler and warmer areas," he said.
Mr Shaw said the coronavirus had given regional winemakers a testing time but business had picked up substantially since mid-year.
"From the June long weekend we have been inundated in the region with people from Sydney and Canberra."
- Angullong 2017 Fossil Hill Shiraz, Viognier, Orange,
- Brokenwood 2019 Forest Edge Vineyard Pinot Noir, Orange
- Centennial Vineyards NV Blanc de Blancs, Orange / Southern Highlands
- Cooks Lot 2017 Iconique Barrique Chardonnay and Lot 2019 Allotment 8 Handpicked Shiraz, both Orange
- Colmar Estate 2019 Block 6 Riesling, Orange
- Gartelmann Wines 2018 Lisa Chardonnay, Orange
- Gilbert 2019 Riesling RS11, Orange, 2012 Riesling, Orange and 2017 LCR Chardonnay, Orange
- Horner Wines 2019 Family Reserve Organic Shiraz, Marsanne, Orange
- JS Wine 2018 Reserve Cabernet Franc, Orange
- Pepper Tree 2017 'Venus Block' Single Vineyard Chardonnay, Orange
- Philip Shaw Wines 2018 No89 Shiraz and 2019 No8 Pinot Noir, both Orange
- Printhie Wines Swift NV Rosé, Orange
- Rowlee 2019 Syrah, Orange
- See Saw See Saw 2020 Organic Sauvignon Blanc, Orange.
DO YOU WANT MORE ORANGE NEWS AND SPORT?
- Receive our free newsletters delivered to your inbox, as well as breaking news alerts. Sign up below ...