In the 75 years the Central Western Daily has been reporting on the activities of Orange the city has changed enormously. Here's some of the key events that have helped shape our city.
Following the end of WWII the white goods manufacturer took over the Edward Street amunitions factory in 1946.
For the next 60-plus years it was a leading employer in Orange creating household items for the nation.
However, that ended in 2016 when operations moved offshore.
Australia's shortage of workers for its post-war industrial expansion was partly filled by, mainly European, migrants.
The first group of men arrived at Orange railway station in 1949 to work at the Emmco factory.
With accommodation scarce a tent city was set up for them between the factory and the railway line.
In 1952 a Commonwealth migrant hostel was set up nearby while others moved into some of the 'Duration' homes on the hill to the east which had been built for the small arms factory workers.
The Orange Migration Heritage Trail records migrant workers also filled important roles at Bloomfield Hospital and established their own businesses and social venues.
OLYMPIC POOL OPENING
Orange's Olympic Pool, now the Aquatic Centre, was warmly welcomed by families who flocked to the centre when it opened in March, 1957.
A growing population demanded new facilities in the 1950s.
The merging of the Orange High School (then in March Street) and the Rural School led to the opening of the school's current facilities in November, 1959 by then NSW Premier and Education minister Bob Heffron.
Further growth in the 1960s led to demand for a second government high school in Orange with the Canobolas Rural Technology High School opening at its current site on Icely Road in March, 1968. The first principal was Fred Dobbin, who later became mayor of Orange.
In the first week of publication of the Central Western Daily in 1945 there were calls for a new aerodrome in Orange.
An airfield existed where Jack Brabham Park is today, and a windsock at the northern end still pays homage to its past.
However, it took until June 1961 for Orange's present airport to open. An air show, with flying displays, a few months later drew a big crowd. Today Qantas, Rex and Link Airways provide services.
Earlier this year, the largest plane to land at the airport, a Boeing 737-300, brought rock star Elton John's crew to the Central West.
In 1945 airport advocates argued Bathurst's runway was bigger than Orange's which meant Orange could not receive large planes. In 2020 the opposite applies.
SUMA PARK DAM
The construction of Suma Park Dam in 1962 was one of the major construction projects of the past 75 years in Orange.
Orange City Council's Significant Landscapes document says the workforce was mainly British migrants who were housed in barracks in March Street and near the dam.
Orange has had its share of official visitors, including royals, but Queen Elizabeth's day out in Orange with Prince Philip on Thursday April 30, 1970, remains the biggest.
The royal couple arrived by train and toured the Electrolux factory where they spoke to workers and officials.
Large crowds lined Summer Street as the Queen walked to greet locals.
She also travelled to Orange High School where she was greeted by about 2000 school children.
The couple also attended a function at the Amoco Hall, now the Orange Function Centre.
After the visit the couple flew to the RAAF Richmond air base.
Moving the NSW Department of Agriculture from Sydney to Orange has been heralded as a key step in decentralisation.
After the government agreed to the plan in 1988 the new Kite Street headquarters opened in 1992.
This month will see that office close as staff relocate to the new DPIE government office building in Prince Street.
It is named after Ian Armstrong, who as agriculture minister initiated the first move.
CADIA MINE OPENS
Following gold and copper deposit finds in 1992 Newcrest Mining established the Cadia Valley Operations mine. In the past 20 years it has undertaken open pit and underground mining and in 2020 is working through an expansion project.
After many years of serving the people of Orange the Base Hospital closed its doors in 2011.
A new hospital, complete with allied health services, opened at Bloomfield alongside the existing mental health facility.
Dudley Private Hospital also found a new home in the CWD's time. It moved to its current March Street in 1979.
And in 2020 work is finishing on establishing a new private hospital at the Bloomfield Medical Centre, opposite the Orange Hospital complex.
For all except six of the past 75 years Country/National party members have represented Orange in state parliament.
Labor's Bob O'Halloran was the member until 1947.
However, it was big news in 2016 when Shooters, Fishers and Farmers party member Phil Donato ended the nearly 70-year reign of Country/National members in a narrow win which he consolidated last year.
At the federal level Orange's representation in the seat of Calare has been spread across Labor, Liberal and Country/National party members for the past 75 years.
Well remembered is independent Peter Andren who was the member for Calare from 1996 until 2007, just before his death.
At 7.45pm on Saturday, February 10, 2018, the Rural Fire Service was alerted to a fire halfway up the west slope of Mount Canobolas, just off the road. It took four days to extinguish and while no lives or homes were lost, more than 70 per cent of the mountain was burnt and several residents lost fences as the blaze damaged nearly 1500 hectares.
Over several years Orange has gained new civic buildings including a major library, the Civic Theatre, the Visitor Information Centre, a modern museum and regional art gallery.
HAVE YOUR SAY
Send us a letter to the editor using the form below ...