A former refuge transformed into a million dollar-plus property is up for sale.
When it sells, the house at 29 Byng Street looks set to become the eighth residence in the street to fetch more than $1 million.
Real estate agent Doone Grist of Williams Machin Real Estate said there had been interest in the property which is for sale for $1.5 million.
Years and years ago it used to be the St Vincent's Cottage.Doone Grist, Williams and Machin Real Estate agent
"I've got two people very interested in the property. One is a retired farmer from out west," she said.
Ms Grist said other interest was from a young family.
She said the 1905-era property had an interesting past.
"Years and years ago it used to be the St Vincent's Cottage," she said.
"It was like a refuge for people in need. There were all individual rooms. It was very, very rundown," she said.
However the property has since undergone significant renovations.
"It has four bedrooms and two bathrooms. There's the beautiful garden, all northerly aspect. There's a wood-fired pizza oven," she said.
The property last sold for $450,000 in 2003.
Ms Grist said she expected interest from Sydney people looking to move to Orange would grow once the COVID-19 pandemic was over.
She said the pandemic had shown people they could work from home, and they no longer needed to be in Sydney.
"People are just realising they want to be in Orange. They are realising they can work in Orange," she said.
"They are so desperate to get out of Sydney.
"Orange is the perfect place to live." She said there would also be increased demand from retirees.
Million dollar-plus residential properties sold within the Orange CBD include:
- 4 Sale Street, $1.86 million, Fitzgerald Estate Agents
- 39-41 Byng Street, $1.855 million, Benchmark Rural and Lifestyle
- 21 Summer Street, $1.6 million, LJ Hooker
- 27 Byng Street, $1.5 million, McCormack Barber
- 78 Byng Street, $1.46 million, McCormack Barber
- 74 Byng Street, $1.459 million, McCormack Barber
- 14 Kite Street, $1.45 million, LJ Hooker
- 26 Kite Street, $1.4 million, LJ Hooker
- 177 Anson Street, $1.39 million, One Agency Orange
- 65 Clinton Street, $1.32 million, Peter Fisher.
HAVE YOUR SAY
- Send us a letter to the editor about who'd you want to see play in Orange using the form below ...