The fate of both Western Rugby League competitions will likely be decided on Tuesday night as both Group 10 and Group 11 meet with their respective clubs.
Group 11's meeting was pushed forward to Tuesday after the Nyngan Tigers announced they wouldn't take part in any senior competition in 2020.
They're the first first-grade club in the region to pull the pin on competition this year, but several Group 10 clubs are believed to prefer scrapping first grade.
The Group 11 board and clubs will meet via Zoom and a vote is set to go ahead to decide if any senior competition should go ahead this year.
The Tigers are the first Group 11 club to announce they won't be playing in 2020 while the Wellington Cowboys had also sent a letter to the board stating they wouldn't contest any competition this year without all seven clubs on board.
Group 11 president Bob Walsh confirmed the statements from the two clubs and added a vote is likely on Tuesday night.
There has been no word from the state government when senior sporting competitions may be able to return while Group 11 had previously set a July 18 restart date.
The ongoing uncertainty played into the Tigers' decision but the main factor is believed to be the lack of fundraising the club has been able to do in the lead-up to any 2020 season.
The Tigers are heavily involved in the Nyngan show and Duck Creek Races each year and they act as the club's major fundraisers.
But both were cancelled due to the COVID-19 pandemic, leaving the club out of pocket.
"Clubs know their capabilities of raising funds and what it costs to run and each is different," Walsh said.
"You've got to abide by those decisions."
Walsh said he could understand where the Tigers were coming from and said it is almost certain his board would not overturn any decision made by the clubs on Tuesday night.
"The clubs will vote and the board will make a decision," Walsh said.
"I've always said it's the clubs who run Group 11, not the board. The board governs and does the mission of the clubs and if the majority don't want to play then that's the way the board has got to go."
It is believed Dubbo clubs CYMS and Macquarie want to push ahead and play this year while the Narromine Jets have previously stated their reservations about any competition in 2020.
Forbes Magpies coach Cameron Greenhalgh said on Monday he would only want a season to go ahead if all clubs were involved.
The state government gave the green light for junior sport to return from July 1 last week and NSWRL boss David Trodden admitted he expected a senior update at that time as well.
Any word on senior competitions could be more than a week away, which could leave clubs with less than a month of training before a modified season from July 18 could begin.
If Group 11 is abandoned for 2020 on Tuesday, Walsh said he could see a scenario where the clubs who are keen to play still get the chance to do so if they are given the green light.
He pointed to a potential combined competition with any Group 10 clubs keen to play as one solution.
Tuesday's meeting is set to start at 7.30pm.
HAVE YOUR SAY
- Send us a letter to the editor using the form below ...