It took the Egyptians 20 years to build the Great Pyramids of Giza - the same amount of time it took Orange to build the Robertson Park toilet block.
Over the years plans to construct the toilet block divided the city however the thousands of tons of paperwork and endless council minutes turned into mere memories on Friday as the conversational amenity was officially opening.
Deputy mayor Sam Romano and councillors Glen Taylor and Jeff Whitton cut a ribbon made of toilet paper and put to rest more than two decades of arguments, delays and issues over the project.
The $195,000 facility was opened at the Byng Street end of Robertson Park ahead of thousands of expected visitors to the city and region over the long weekend.
The block contains three separate cubicles, a paved entrance, exterior CCTV, an accessible toilet and a change table.
Discussions over the toilet began in 2001, and council has been planning the block since 2011.
Cr Taylor, who's spearheaded the "long hard fight" for the toilet block, said he was glad to see it finally finished after two decades of "blood, sweat and tears".
"Today is a day of celebration. It's here. It's finally here," he said.
"Over 20 years ago I was approached by some families and some World War II veterans about having nowhere in the park to relieve themselves so that's where the push originally came from.
"Critics and opponents have said it will destroy the moral fortitude of Orange, crime will be out of control. Some of the emotive debates, the self-interest which has been involved as far as this particular block is concerned has been unbelievable."
A relieved Cr Taylor said he was happy to flush away years of bogged-down debate.
"Right through this debate, I've said it's a toilet block and that's all it is. It's denigrated the whole concept of what is a much-needed community facility," he said.
"The intent always was for those veterans on Anzac Day, and the families who come into the park on a lovely day like this to have somewhere to change their children, that was always the intent.
"It was never meant for people to climb out of the pub on Friday and Saturday night to vandalise and assault people which some people claimed will happen."
Cr Romano said it was good to see the block built after years of debate in council chambers about the location and design.
"The big day has arrived, the toilets have been built and the Robertson Park toilets are ready to be opened," Cr Romano said.
He said the block would be good for tourism and for people walking around the park, and was happy council had been able to compromise on a location.
"We're all happy about it, it's a bit of a walk from the cenotaph but that's the way it is," he said.
DO YOU WANT MORE ORANGE NEWS AND SPORT?
- Receive our free newsletters delivered to your inbox, as well as breaking news alerts. Sign up below ...