Netball NSW CEO Carolyn Campbell has reached out to Sports Minister Geoff Lee, urging him to give a much-needed update on the immediate playing future of senior competitions.
The letter comes less than a week after five Suncorp Super Netball players contacted the NSW government, insisting it gives codes more guidance on when and how they can return to action.
While junior sports were officially given the all-clear to return from July 1, senior competitions statewide are still in the dark, and Campbell stressed the need for direction.
"Community sport includes the whole community. Not just those under 18 years of age," she said.
Senior players are the backbone of clubs, associations and competitions everywhere.
"They are the coaches, managers, umpires and administrators. If they can't participate, all sport - not just netball - is in jeopardy."
If restaurants and clothing stores were still shut, it's unlikely Campbell would be as disappointed but with restrictions being eased left, right and centre, she can't understand why senior netball hasn't even been told when they can return to training.
"It is unfathomable that as shopping centres start to look like it's Christmas Eve, and pubs can allow up to 50 people, adults can't participate in sport," she said.
And Campbell knows it's not just netball that needs guidance...
Senior rugby league stands out as one of the biggest talking topics in the Central West as Group 10 president Linore Zamparini and the clubs involved are scrambling for important information they thought they'd have by now.
Netball is not alone in this battle," Campbell continued.
"There are many sporting organisations on the brink of insolvency who may now have to refund every dollar to senior players. It is a financial disaster for community sport."
"All sports need financial recovery assistance urgently. The State Government requested, and received, detailed financial information eight weeks ago, but no progress has been made."
Campbell rounded out the document by touching on the sport's not-for-profit nature, and re-addressed the vitality of a senior presence at clubs.
"It is very important to note that Netball NSW is not in the business of profit to pay huge wages of a tiny minority of elite athletes at the pointy end. Our elite and community games share a deep bond, as last week's letter to the Premierhighlighted," she said.
"As a non-profit organisation for over nine decades, every cent is counted and spent to ensure a better outcome for netball as a whole. Thanks to that the game has provided a safe outlet to promote well being and teamwork.
"Without senior players and officials, the whole netball ecosystem cannot function. What we need most of all is a return date for these key partners in our game.
"We urge Minister Lee to address this matter immediately. Failure to do so will be detrimental to everyday sport participants across the state."
DO YOU WANT MORE ORANGE NEWS AND SPORT?
- Receive our free newsletters delivered to your inbox, as well as breaking news alerts. Sign up below ...