Orange City Council has withdrawn its support for the Orange Farmers Market.
The market that was to proceed on council land at the Northcourt on Saturday but is no longer going ahead due to the council's decision.
The council's decision was made at its meeting on Tuesday night.
Councillors endorsed actions taken so far to halt the spread of coronavirus, but councillor Kevin Duffy added a provision, not supporting Orange Farmers Market being held on council land, saying they had the option of farmgate sales.
Market manager Holly Manning was notified of the decision on Tuesday night.
"The committee are discussing their options," Mrs Manning said.
She said the market would not have been a social day out and drastic changes have been made to keep it in line with COVID-19 restrictions.
Market manager Holly Manning said the outdoor shop-and-go market would have been for locals only and the focus was on purchasing fresh produce from the region so it was requested that only one person per household attend.
She said in some ways the conditions would have been stricter than most supermarkets with shoppers not being allowed to handle produce.
She said the decision to go ahead with the market followed lengthy discussions over Zoom, surveying stallholders, and liaising with Orange City Council.
She said the committee followed recommendations by the Australian Farmers Market Association along with practices implemented at the weekly Canberra markets, which has continued to run and set the standard for health and safety.
The Dubbo Farmer's Market is continuing to trade with Dubbo producers making the most of the current difficult situation.
The farmers' markets and similar events were given the all clear from the Department of Health to continue hosting events after a number of wide-ranging crackdowns on public gatherings were announced by the federal government.
Mrs Manning had welcomed the windfall for the region's producers and customers and asked people to visit at different times rather than everyone coming at once.
"Fresh produce collected from an open air market is needed more and more," Mrs Manning said before council withdrew its support.
The committee is very aware of the seriousness of COVID-19 and want to assure the community they will do everything within its power to ensure the market is a safe shopping experience.Market manager Holly Manning
"The committee is very aware of the seriousness of COVID-19 and want to assure the community they will do everything within its power to ensure the market is a safe shopping experience.
"[The committee] believe local produce is needed now, more than ever and the shoppers health and safety is paramount."
To reduce contact, Mrs Manning said shoppers were encouraged to pre-order and pay for their produce by visiting the Orange Farmers Market Facebook page and website and collecting the items at the market.
She said people would have been directed to walk clockwise while keeping 1.5 metres distance from other shoppers.
Mrs Manning said only one market customer would have approached each stall at a time, there would have be no gold coin donations or hamper vouchers and hand sanitiser would have been provided.
People were urged not to bring their dogs, ready-to-eat food would have only been sold as take-away, and it was likely the police would have attended to ensure restrictions were followed.
People aged over 70 or in a high risk category, or anyone who is unwell, has recently travelled or is showing symptoms of coronavirus, were asked to stay home.
Mrs Manning was aware of criticism about the decision to run the market at a time when people were told to stay home unless it was for essential purposes.
"I know it all comes from good intentions and strong care for the community," Mrs Manning said.
"[Customers] are not going to have a coffee and socialise.
"People will police each other at these markets and will be keeping an eye on each other."
DO YOU WANT MORE ORANGE NEWS?
- Receive our free newsletters delivered to your inbox, as well as breaking news alerts. Sign up below ...