Orange residents are being warned to move cars undercover and keep clear of creeks and storm drains as another severe storm front moves towards the region.
The Bureau of Meterology issued a severe thunderstorms warning at lunchtime on Thursday and then extended the alert into the evening, with more heavy rainfall predicted to produce flash flooding.
The warning also included the possibility of damaging winds.
An earlier weather warning was issued on Monday for Barrington Tops and the resulting storms brought 45mm in 30min to the area.
Blayney recorded as much as 50mm in parts on Thursday afternoon when the initial warning was issued.
Orange has already enjoyed some of the predicted rainfall the region was eagerly awaiting this week, with 2.4mm recorded at the airport before 9am and then 13.8mm in the afternoon storms.
With the storms approaching, the State Emergency Service advises that people should:
- Move your car under cover or away from trees.
- Secure or put away loose items around your house, yard and balcony.
- Keep at least 8 metres away from fallen power lines or objects that may be energised, such as fences.
- Report fallen power lines to either Ausgrid (131 388), Endeavour Energy (131 003), Essential Energy (132 080) or Evoenergy (131 093) as shown on your power bill.
- Keep clear of creeks and storm drains.
- Don't walk, ride your bike or drive through flood water.
- If you are trapped by flash flooding, seek refuge in the highest available place and ring 000 if you need rescue.
- Unplug computers and appliances.
- Avoid using the phone during the storm.
- Stay indoors away from windows, and keep children and pets indoors as well.
- For emergency help in floods and storms, ring the SES (NSW and ACT) on 132 500.
The next warning is due to be issued by 3:50 pm.
Orange was forecast to receive as much as 100mm of rain this week, but the prediction has been downgraded and there's now less chance of rain over the weekend.
There's a 70 per cent chance of rain on Friday, and again on Saturday, with a 60 per cent chance of rain on Sunday.
The amount forecast is between 5mm and 10mm on each of those days.
HAVE YOUR SAY
- Send us a letter to the editor using the form below ...