THOSE requiring the Orange City Council elevator for access needs have been asked to contact the council, with the lift out of service for the next two months.
Council spokesmans Nick Redmond said Otis Elevator Company had been engaged to replace the lift in the Civic Centre, with work starting on Monday.
He said while the outage was not ideal, the lift was 40 years old and was due for replacement.
"With the lift out of service for this period, there will be no wheel chair access upstairs - the works are anticipated to be completed by early March," he said.
"OTIS will be working extended hours including Saturday shifts to complete this project as quickly as possible."
Work will be broken up into two stages - the demolition of the old lift and the installation of the new lift and a hoarding will be set up around the lifts on both floors.
"The works are expected to cause disturbance as the demolition works will involve a level of noise to complete this stage of the project with the heavy demolition to be completed on the Saturday shifts," Mr Redmond said.
"We are asking that anyone with mobility issues to contact council to discuss the matter if they are wishing to attend a council meeting."
He said where necessary, all council staff would be available on the ground floor to discuss matters with residents.
DO YOU WANT MORE ORANGE NEWS?
- Receive our free newsletters delivered to your inbox, as well as breaking news alerts. Sign up below ...