TWO Orange-based Essential Energy workers have accepted a voluntary redundancy since the NSW Government's intervention into the supplier's planned job cuts.
In August the cuts were put on hold following NSW Government intervention but on Tuesday Essential Energy confirmed that 13 redundancies had gone ahead in the Central West.
They included two voluntary redundancies in Orange, six in Bathurst, three in Dubbo and one each in Mudgee and Oberon.
"Redundancies are being provided to some employees following detailed consultation with them on their preference to leave the business, and in line with both our legal obligations and representations made to employees," an Essential Energy spokeswoman said.
"All of the employees receiving redundancies were involved in the consultation process undertaken earlier this year for the proposed workforce reduction."
The spokeswoman said these employees expressed a preference to leave Essential Energy before the Energy and Environment Minister announced his intention to issue a direction to prevent any workforce reductions.
"All other employees impacted by the consultation process are returning to work," she said.
"The NSW Government continues work to finalise a formal direction to Essential Energy about its proposed workforce reductions."
- READ ALSO: Quest prepares to open by Monday | Photos
Electrical Trades Union secretary Justin Page said he was comfortable with the small number of workers who accepted a redundancy and that there cases involved "exceptional circumstances".
"What the union fought, and successfully stopped, was the use of forced redundancies at the company," he said.
"We remain committed to protecting regional jobs and ensuring no Essential Energy workers are pressured to leave their employment against their will."
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
- Send us a letter to the editor by using the form below: