A SMALL fire that ignited in a house in Orange overnight could have ended in tragic circumstances, firefighters say.
Fire and Rescue NSW Orange crews were called to a home on Moulder Street, near the intersection of WoodWard Street, at 6.10pm on Thursday following reports of a fire.
Station Officer Brad Monico said upon arrival firefighters discovered a small fire in one of the rooms of the house.
"The occupant had left some stuff to close to the box fireplace and it had caught alight and she was lucky she came home when she did," he said.
"It was very close to catching the whole place alight."
MAP: The street where the fire occurred
Station Officer Monico said the home's occupant had left clothing and shoes way too close to the fireplace when she went out and this had ignited.
"The whole house was smoke logged," he said.
Station Officer Monico said if people are trying to warm or dry clothing or bedding near the fireplace or heater that it should be kept at least one metre away from the heat source.
People with electric blankets or heaters should turn these off before going out.
DO YOU WANT MORE ORANGE NEWS?
- Receive our free newsletters delivered to your inbox, as well as breaking news alerts. Sign up below ...