Orange CYMS' premier league campaign appears to be over after the Group 10 Rugby League committee handed down an ultimatum regarding last week's postponed games, one president Dave Penny said is "impossible" to comply with.
With safety the main concern CYMS made the call to postpone last Sunday's games against Mudgee after snowfall engulfed the region and had an eye on rescheduling them, if necessary, following this weekend's final-round local derby.
However following a meeting on Tuesday night the Group 10 board circulated a communique stating those weather-affected, round 17 games must be played prior to Sunday's final round or no competition points would be awarded.
It won't be happening this week and with the turnarounds for each side to this weekend it's a bit ridiculous really.CYMS president Dave Penny
CYMS are one point adrift of fifth-placed Cowra but the Magpies have the bye this weekend, so without the chance to upset Mudgee the green and golds would remain sixth regardless of their result against Hawks on Sunday afternoon.
The Group 10 committee said that decision was not taken lightly and was made based on ensuring a level playing field for those sides that did play last week and also to ensure the integrity of the competition.
"It's impossible, it won't be happening this week and with the turnarounds for each side to this weekend it's a bit ridiculous really," Penny said.
"We were happy to sort it out with Mudgee and deal with is as best we could following the local derby but the Group's throwing their weight around and giving us that ultimatum, I'm not really sure how it affects the integrity of the competition but as much as I don't like the saying, I guess it is what it is.
- Are you a Central Western Daily subscriber? Then why not CLICK HERE and join our new Central West Sports Subscribers Facebook group?
"I guess we'll see how it pans out but as it stands it will end our (premier league) season, if it goes that way it is a disappointing way to finish what has, admittedly, been a tough season for us anyway.
"The big thing is we're all volunteers running these clubs and organising everything, it's tough to do that kind of thing with short notice."
While Mudgee will feature in the 2019 finals regardless of whether the round 17 games go ahead or not they are embroiled in a battle for third spot with Lithgow, who they host on Saturday afternoon.
If Lithgow win that game at Glen Willow Sporting Complex they'll jump to third, which would resign Mudgee to fourth and cost the Dragons a vital second chance in the finals.
The Mudgee club was reportedly happy to play last Sunday and even suggested trying to find an alternate venue outside of Wade Park once it was made clear CYMS' officials deemed the ground unplayable.
That didn't come to fruition, and the turnaround from any rescheduled game would simply be too short for the Mudgee club, especially with travel and their Saturday game considered.
"I won't be letting any of my players or volunteers commit to that travel and extremely short turnaround as I and our club deem it to be unsafe," Mudgee president Sebastian Flack said.
In terms of the lower grades only the Dragons' league tag side are at risk of having their finals chances impacted, however CYMS' under-18 side would lose a shot at the minor premiership too, should no points be available.
Oberon's games against Blayney were also cancelled last weekend however that was due to the roads being closed.
The Group 10 board decided the premier league and first division games need not proceed as they have no bearing on the semi-finals.
The under-18 and league tag games were to be played this week or, like CYMS and Mudgee's fixtures, no points would be awarded.
WANT MORE ORANGE NEWS AND SPORT?
- Receive our free newsletters delivered to your inbox, as well as breaking news alerts. Sign up below ...