The historic Magistrates House, known as Cotehele, in Anson Street will revert to being a private residence after it was sold last week.
The sale price has not been disclosed, however the asking price was $1.5-1.65 million.
Selling agent, One Agency Orange director Ash Brown said the new owners intended to return the house to being a private residence.
For several years Cotehele has been a bed and breakfast business.
Mr Brown said the couple who had bought the property were from Thredbo and had moved to Orange to be closer to their grandchildren who lived here.
"That's very common. We are getting a lot of Sydney grandparents [moving to Orange] wanting to be close to their grandchildren or coming in from the farms," he said.
Mr Brown said the couple had plans to upgrade the historic residence that was built in 1878 as the home of the first magistrate to be based west of the Blue Mountains, John Lane.
VIDEO: A TOUR OF COTEHELE
It has servants' quarters and stables that have been turned into accommodation at the rear.
"They will be bringing it back to its former glory. So that's good that its staying as an historical icon in Orange," he said.
MAP: OUR MILLION DOLLAR SELLERS
The property has marble fireplaces in most bedrooms and has 12-foot ceilings.
Mr Brown said the stables had been made out of timber slabs.
He said the property's central location was a big selling point.
It is the latest CBD property to sell in Orange for more than $1 million.
According to property site Domain, as of this week, there were six properties in the Orange CBD for sale for more than $1 million.
CITY'S TOP SELLERS
Million dollar properties sold in the Orange CBD include:
- 21 Summer Street, $1.6 million, LJ Hooker
- 27 Byng Street, $1.5 million, McCormack Barber
- 177 Anson Street, One Agency Orange
- 78 Byng Street, $1.46 million, McCormack Barber
- 14 Kite Street, 1.45 million, LJ Hooker
- 26 Kite Street, $1.4 million, LJ Hooker
- 15 Sale Street, $1.29 million, Benchmark Rural and Lifestyle
- 72 Byng Street, $1.27 million, McCormack Barber
- 175 Anson Street, $1.25 million, McCormack Barber
- 3 Clinton Street, $1.225 million, LJ Hooker/McCormack Barber
- 40 Clinton Street, $1.2 million, Williams Machin
- 36 Hill Street, $1.1 million, Blowes Real Estate
- 41 Byng Street, $1.03 million, McCormack Barber
- 62 Byng Street, $1.02 million, Townsend Real Estate
- 52 Kite Street, $1 million, LJ Hooker.
DO YOU WANT MORE ORANGE NEWS?
Receive our free newsletters delivered to your inbox, as well as breaking news alerts. Sign up below ...