New Zealand has banned military-style semi-automatic rifles and launched a buyback of weapons as police say the bodies of all 50 killed in the terror attack on Christchurch mosques are ready to be returned to their families.
A government order halted sale of the weapons on Thursday afternoon as Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern announced laws banning assault rifles, high-capacity magazines and dangerous modification parts.
"In short, every semi-automatic weapon used in the terrorist attack on Friday will be banned in this country," she said.
The man charged with murder over last Friday's attack, 28-year-old Australian Brenton Tarrant, used two semi-automatic rifles legally bought with a licence.
The changes were quickly endorsed by the Police Association, political parties and farmers - the group that includes many semi-automatic rifle owners.
An amnesty has begun to allow the weapons to be handed-in, with a buyback scheme to be announced soon at an estimated cost of $NZ100 million ($A97 million) to $NZ200 million.
The announcement came as police announced they had completed formally identifying victims' bodies, allowing their return to grieving families amid frustration that the lengthy process had delayed Islamic burial rites.
For those already returned to their families, a procession of burials continued in Christchurch on Thursday.
Among them was 71-year-old grandfather Haji-Daoud Nabi, who with his final words "Hello, brother" welcomed the stranger who would soon kill him.
Nabi's kindness was remembered by the large number of family who prayed and carried his body above their heads to his gravesite.
Schoolchildren from Cashmere High School were among the mourners, farewelling their 14-year-old schoolmate Sayyad Ahmad Milne a day after the burial of another friend, 15-year-old Hamza Mustafa.
A third teen, 17-year-old Muhammad Haziq Mohd-Tarmizi, was buried only hours after being formally identified as one of the dead.
Eight victims in total were buried on Thursday, with hundreds gathering for what was the second day of funerals.
Preparations are underway to reopen the mosques at the centre of the attacks for Friday prayers.
Crime scene investigations have been completed at both Masjid al Noor and Linwood mosque, and Mr Bush was hopeful they could be handed back to the communities as early as Thursday.
Supporters intend to gather and hold hands to form a human wall of protection for people returning.
And police will remain at both sites, for safety and reassurance.
"We would like to thank the community and contractors who have helped us get the mosques back to their original states before these devastating attacks," the forces said in a statement.
Nationally, memorials also are being planned for Friday to mark a week since the tragedy.
The Islamic Call to Prayer will be broadcast on television and radio across the country at the start of prayers on Friday, and there will be a two-minute silence to remember the dead.
In total, 29 of the 50 people injured in the attack on March 15 were are still recovering in hospital, including seven in critical condition.
Police in the evening made the embarrassing admission that the sole person Tarrant had been charged with murdering was still alive.
Police said they had apologised to the woman and would fix the paperwork before Tarrant's next court appearance where he is expected to face a raft of new charges.
Australian Associated Press